[Vision2020] re: liquor liability insurance

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:00:21 -0800

that Idaho law relieves even the person who serves liquor
of liability for the drinker's subsequent negligent acts
unless he served to a minor or a person who was
obviously intoxicated.  The City is not serving any alcohol
at any of the functions on city-owned property.  The
business that receives the temporary (alcohol) catering
license is responsible, but only in those two situations.
Idaho law further has specific approval for cities to grant
alcohol catering permits, so it's not as if this issue hasn't
been considered.

Many people were in favor of the city licensing a "beer
garden" at Renaissance Fair.  Again, the licensee would
bear the responsibility of legally serving the alcohol, not
the city.  It, thus, appears that if the licensee chooses to
operate without insurance, s/he/it bears the risk of liability
but only for service to minors (a crime in itself) or to the
already intoxicated.  Until someone shows us an Idaho
case in which a city was held liable when it only granted
the license, perhaps there is no cause to "yell" at the city
council.

A person or organization holding an event at which
alcohol is catered by appropriate city permit might want
to be sure that the caterer strictly enforces the law since
the person or organization could possibly be held liable for
damages caused by a minor or already intoxicated
individual who was served alcohol at the function.  But,
then, the organizer might also be held liable for any
number of other dangerous activities that it fails to
prevent (after reasonable notice it's occurring) at the
function.  If someone suggests a quick-draw contest with
loaded pistols, the organizer is best advised to promptly
and fimly quell that notion.

I understand that the insurance binder required for an
alcohol caterer to insure a single event is prohibitively
expensive, and many bars do not even carry insurance for
their on-premises liquor sales (since the law precludes
liability if they behave responsibly).  It appears there is no
reason for the city to require them to insure off-site
events.

It would appear to me that the city is actually promoting
local business rather than competing with it.

The Idaho "dram shop act" can be found at I.C. 23-808 and
the provisions for catering permits at IC 23-934.  You can
find the full code at www.state.id.us--click on Idaho
Statutes for further clickable links to the specific titles and
chapters thereunder.

Mike Curley