[Vision2020] liquor insurance liability

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:32:44 -0800

Mike Curley writes, with some frustration:

>a.  the "public v. private education" issue has not been a
>debate in my opinion
>b.  if it has been a debate, it is a debate that was
>conducted once, ad nauseam to many others on the list

Over the weekend I did some thinking about why some of us are still moved to
revisit this topic, and why it creates such heat.  I agree with Mike that
our postings aren't a debate.  They certainly aren't a dialogue, and I don't
think they're a conversation, either.  I think we're talking past each other
for the benefit of the people we perceive as "on our side," and I'm
including myself in that statement.

The Public Conversations Project (www.publicconversations.org)has a very
interesting list of "Characteristics of Stuck Conversations on Polarized
Issues."  Some highlights?

"Conversation is unvarying and predictable.

"Partisans develop a virtuous image of themselves and a demonic image of
their adversaries.

"Blaming and attack reign, fueled by righteous passion, feelings of
victimization, disempowerment, and disqualification.

"Members of an opposing alliance seem to be all alike; the most extreme
leaders are seen as representatives of the whole group.

"Fixed and simple convictions are openly displayed.  Complexity,
ambivalence, confusion, and inner conflict are concealed."

I think our discussion has reached the "stuck" point (again).  If we want to
have a real conversation--not even a debate, but simply a conversation--we
may have to do things differently.  We might try to reach some agreements
about that--agreements about how we will speak to and about each other,
about what kinds of questions we will ask, about what our goals for the
conversation are.

Melynda Huskey

"The things that make us happy make us wise."  John Crowley