[Vision2020] Legislative Report

RingoShirl@aol.com RingoShirl@aol.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:16:42 -0500

Visionaries:

Last Saturday, Senator Dean Cameron and Representative Maxine Bell held a hearing at the University of Idaho.  These individuals chair the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee, and Idaho's budget was the topic of discussion.  Attendance was great, and I heard no objections to raising revenue for programs.  People supported bonding for buildings, the Idaho Child Care Program, Case Management for the mentally ill, etc.

I continue to be pleased that Governor Kempthorne has the courage to advocate for more revenue.  There are options to take some of the pressure off the sales tax.  For example, we might repeal the individual income tax cuts of 2001.  This does not completely close the gap, but provides some of the funds needed.  I am not yet satisfied with the Governor's proposal for public schools.  Marilyn Howard's proposal is better, and deserves our attention and support.

Several people voiced an interest in taxing services.  Since Idaho is moving from a goods-based to a service-based economy, the base for sales tax will erode if we don't make a shift in that direction.  However, the issue is complex and it is doubtful that it can be given fair treatment this year.  The Speaker of the House plans to appoint a study committee, a recommendation of the Blue Ribbon Task Force.  There is potential to remove some of the exemptions, tax some services, and lower the rate.  In any event, I hope it will be given careful attention.

We should look for jobs with good pay - jobs where workers escape the poverty level.  Idaho Code 44-1001 specifies that for state, county, municipal, and school construction, repair, and maintenance work, the contractor must employ a specified number of Idaho residents.  That part of the code needs attention for two reasons.  First,there should be a way to deal with situations where it is verifiably impossible to fill the quota.  Secondly, there should be specific consequences for deliberate failure to comply.  The only reference to noncompliance states it is a misdemeanor.  There is legislation proposed to address this part of the code.

I did not support the legislation fixing the process to make Idaho's death penalty constitutional.  In my opinion, at the very least, there should be a moratorium until we resolve issues such as fairness, eliminating errors, alternatives, whether we can justify the cost, etc.  My messages on the issue all favored eliminating the death penalty, or imposing the moratorium.

There are some issues where the right choice is not immediately clear.  These cut into my hours of sleep notably - I listen and collect as much information as possible.  Then I hope to make the best decision.  Be sure to help keep me informed.

Rep.Shirley Ringo