[Vision2020] The Benefits of Polarization

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 06 Feb 2003 22:19:54 +0000

Doug, et. al.

Doug, please respond to my questions and post your reply on vision2020.  I
have numbered them for reference.

Some people actually want to THINK about religion on rational grounds using
"LOGIC," and thus may find your usually eloquent reply enlightening.  These
issues may seem removed from the intents of vision2020, but really underlie
the actions of people in our community every day of the week!

It appears that you are suggesting the Biblical system justifies itself and
the progressive system justifies itself, each based on separate logical
rules, which are self contained and not extensively applicable to the other
system.

1.  Do you think your Trinitarian set of logical rules is in any sense
"superior" to the progressives' set of logical rules, or is it just a
different but equal set of rules?   Of course you do, but surprise me!

2.  How can any progressive understand what your Trinitarian logical rules
are with no common ground of logic to refer to between the systems?

It seems you are only writing to bolster your own community, following your
set of logical rules, that cannot be communicated to a progressive because
there is no common ground of logic for a progressive to reference to
comprehend your logical rules.

The suggestion that there are no neutral common rules of logic that apply
across ideologies, cultures and religions, is often thrown out the window,
even by people who insist on this approach, as soon as there is a practical
reason to do so.  Thus when a Toyota breaks down in Saudi Arabia, Moscow,
Idaho, Japan, China or India, the different ideologies, religions and
cultures represented are suddenly rendered equal, for a moment in this one
example, according to certain rules of logic, scientifically applied, as to
the operation of the internal combustion engine, the friction of brake
drums, the mechanisms of gears, etc. etc.

Now suddenly the trained Toyota mechanic of any faith or culture or
political system follows the same logical rules, unless of course you run
into a "party line" interpretation of science, such as the Soviet Union or
China once promoted, which just got in the way of scientific progress in
those countries.

3.  Is there a special Trinitarian set of logical rules for fixing a Toyota?

Of course you can say my argument is fine and good for cars, but not for
religion.  A whole different game.  But my argument applies to the discovery
and release of the most powerful physical forces known to humanity, the
atomic forces in nuclear weapons and reactors.

4.  Are you going to suggest that these forces are trivial in the sense that
the logical rules involved in their operation cannot be applied to religious
systems of thought, and have no fundamental connection to how EVERYTHING IN
OUR SHARED UNIVERSE (BIG assumption in CAPS) operates?

5.  If you claim the logical rules of nuclear physics do not represent a
shared common ground of logic that can be applied to religion, how valid is
your claim considering the fact that ALL HUMAN BEINGS ARE MADE OF ATOMS,
MOSTLY CARBON ATOMS FORGED EONS AGO IN PROCESSES IN STARS INVOLVING THE SAME
NUCLEAR REACTIONS DESCRIBED BY THE LOGICAL RULES OF PHYSICS?

It would appear our very existence as living beings involves the common
shared operation of these logical rules of physics.  In fact, a theist could
argue convincingly that we have discovered, at least in part, the logic of
God in our logical descriptions of nuclear physics.  Certainly the logic of
God should be common among all human beings.  Many "progressives" would
agree with this last statement.

Many radically differing major cultures and religions have scientists who
agree on common rules of mathematics and logic that must be followed in the
exacting extreme to develop nuclear energy and bombs.  NO rejection of a
common ground of logic in this example, at least from the point of view of
the scientists following these differing religions and cultures.

If the logical rules to develop an atom bomb are the same for a scientist in
Hindu India, Islamic Pakistan, Daoist China and Christian America then...
well, Doug, no doubt you will have some sophisticated metaphysical reason
why this does not demonstrate a neutral common ground of logic, because of
reasons contained in YOUR metaphysical ideological system.

I of course am not expanding on how the logical rules of physics can EXACTLY
be applied to a specific religion.  But the logical principles involved have
commonalities with the whole tradition of logic and mathematics, a tradition
that contains logical rules that can be applied to argument about religious
thought: principles that a Trinitarian and a progressive should be able to
agree on.

I could extend my argument to the operation of the human brain, according to
scientific principles of neuroscience, a brain that can be shown to be very
similar based on genetic evidence.  Then we might have a scientific basis
for a common ground of logic generated by the human brain, where logic is
created in human experience.  This would be common, but perhaps not
"objective."

It may seem I am changing subjects now, but not really.  I have one more
question.

One of the main problems with basing philosophy and/or religion on the
scientific method, such as I am attempting, is the difficulty in
establishing a rational fact based ethics.

It's easy with God as your starting point to claim to have unchanging
perfect ethical rules.  But you still face the daunting task of defending
how you truly understand, and have been correctly revealed, the exact
ethical rules of God, with a limited and flawed human mind interpreting.
Christians usually downplay the profound and complex problem of defending
the validity of their particular revelation of the ethical rules of God when
there are many differing ethical interpretations of the Bible, etc. across
different sects of Christianity.

5.  Do differing Christian sects also have differing systems of logic to
justify their differing interpretations of the Bible, and lack a common
neutral ground of logic to reference, when they fundamentally disagree, for
example, to pick a profound non-trivial case, on the death penalty?

It seems that if you do not defend a common ground of logic in some sense,
the logic behind the differing sects of Christianity is subject to the same
subjective fracturing and relativism of logical systems that you are
suggesting afflicts disagreements between modernity and progressivism and
your Trinitarianism.

Ted