[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Sch ools

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:01:21 -0800

Well, if you can't impress them with facts, dazzle them with (well, you know
the rest) . . .

Tom Hansen

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Courtney [mailto:dmcourtn@moscow.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 8:29 AM
To: thansen@moscow.com; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt
Schools

> "Ah, but how nice it would be if:
>
> A) If you saw children in elementary school doing this."
>
> Could you name one elementary school that does?  You
> apparently fail to understand the concept of "elementary" school.

And you have dumbed down the meaning of "elementary".

I'd invite you to personally observe these in action at Logos in the
elementary grade. If you'd like to sit in on some classes, let me know.
You'll see 5th graders who are allowed to sit in the hallways and study
either alone or in groups without supervision. Amazing what
self-discipline/government can do for children.

> "B) You didn't have to wait until you were 45 years old and
> in college to be taught them."
>
> If you are implying that I personally had to wait until I was
> in my forties to attend college to learn thses concepts, you
> are partly correct. For 20 years (up to six months prior to
> attending college) I wore the uniform of the US Army.

And I'm not making fun of you for waiting until you retired to go to
college. I'm glad you did. My point was that it's too bad that people have
to wait to college to experience what you did in the way of education.

> When I
> attended college, it was because I wanted to, not because my
> Mommy and Daddy wanted me to.

Fallacy of the false dilemma.

> By the way, where did you go
> to college and what degree did you earn?

Manatee Junior College -- AA
University of Munich Germany
University of Colorado -- BA (Math, Physics, German)
Naval Nuclear Power School -- Nuclear Engineering.
Naval Postgraduate School -- MA in Information Technology
Reformed Theological Seminary -- MAR

> "C) You didn't have to have the money to go to college to learn them."
>
> Name one college that is absolutely free and provides quality
> education.  My definition of "free" is that somebody else pays for it.

Name *anything* that is "free". Again, a false dilemma.

Dale Courtney

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com