[Vision2020] Interesting Report by S&P on Michigan's Govt Schools

eevans@moscow.com eevans@moscow.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:59:00 GMT

Sunil Ramalingam wrote:
> <P>Bob, Bob, Bob,</P>
> <P>Don't you know that schools are boxes?  You have your inputs going in
(dollars,
donuts, whatever) and you have your outputs ( these will vary by the conclusion
you want
to come up with, just like the inputs) and then you just compare 'em.  It's
really
simple!  You don't even have to use the same inputs for the different boxes.
</P>

As Mr. Hoffmann alluded, public schools provide social services like food,
daycare, before/after school programs, security guards, etc.

We could assume the local private schools spend nothing on social services.
Given an MSD budget, is it possible to differentiate between social service and
education costs?

When we ask why public education costs what it does, I'd like a better answer
than: "It's complex. Vote yes on Tuesday."

> Cheers! (Not just a great way to end a letter, it's one of my favorite shows)

And it's a good reminder that one should always have a drink nearby when
reading Vision2020.

Cheers,
-Ed Evans

<snip>