[Vision2020] your vision of Moscow's future

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 20:28:58 -0800

Without investigating the merits of a new courthouse or even the integrity
of our local elected officials in general, I guess I'm too much of a cynic
to dismiss out of hand the belief that at least some "people in power" are
trying to line their pockets with taxpayer dollars.  I'm of the opinion
that it would be ridiculous not to think so.  While the below comment did
not contribute substance to the debate, it did contribute an attitude that
should be present in our society, lest "they" pull the wool over our eyes
all of the time, instead of just some of the time.

I do believe that it is better if proponents of the views expressed below
could give specific examples (Commissioner X proposed a levy, and one of
the main beneficiaries was his cousin, Y, who received a sizeable contract
from the funds), instead of simply stating a broad and ultimately hopeless
generalization.

At 07:57 PM 2/1/2003 -0800, Priscilla Salant wrote:
>My vision for Moscow is that people will discuss public issues respectfully
>and civilly, without making thoughtless and frankly ridiculous statements
>like the following recent post on this listserv.  Life is too short to be
>this rude to elected officials just trying to do the right thing, whether
>you agree with their positions or not.
>
>(On the subject of the upcoming bond election, one person wrote ...)
>
>The goal is to line the pockets of those who favor the people in power, not
>conserve tax dollars. Why would they conserve tax dollars when they can
>always steal more?
>
>Priscilla Salant

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.