[Vision2020] taxation

Scott Dredge sdredge@yahoo.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:45:47 -0800 (PST)

Dale,

40% of all my income does not go to taxes.  How are
you determining this percentage?  Hypothetically,
let's say that my income was $100k in 2002.  Just
going by the Federal and Idaho State tax tables for
2002 for Single filing, and even without deducting
state taxes on my federal return or considering any
other type of income deductions (like home mortgage
interest or even standard deductions), I would pay
$7524 for state and $24315 for fed for a total of
$31839.  This is 31.8% which is significantly less
than the 40% number that you're throwing around.

Is your 40% number accurate or is it exaggerated like
your claims about the anonymous flier?  By the way, I
didn't see any response from you regarding Sunil's
questions about your comments of the flier.  It seems
to me that you should be held as accountable for your
claims just as fervently as you were demanding the
Daily News to be held accountable.  And if your
comments were erroneous for whatever reason, a simple
retraction would suffice.  If your charges were just a
smoke screen in a feeble attempt to divert attention
off of the Douglas Wilson / Christ Church / Slavery
issue, then a simple admission of "it was a weak and
failed attempt at damage control" would be fine.  I
hope Sunil doesn't let you off the hook on this issue,
but so far your silence on it speaks volumes.

-Scott