[Vision2020] Pullman ROad Crossing

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt@moscow.com
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:49:40 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3C73A.C9B57990

Visionaries,

I measured the distance between Line St. and Farm Road on Pullman Rd. It =
is .6 (6/10) of a mile so really the students need to go .3 mile east or =
.3 west at the most to get to a crossing on Pullman Road with a light. =
The one mile out of their way they are claiming doesn't add up. =20

Another consideration is that most employees of University of Idaho have =
not had a pay raise in 2 years or more. I think they need to be taken =
care of before money is spent on a cross walk even though it comes out =
of a different "pocket".=20

We have 18 year olds who are smart enough to go to college and they =
should be able to cross the road. Maybe we need crossing guards or a =
shuttle bus!

Also I am not in favor of another crosswalk on the state highway. First =
of all the speed limit is 35 in that area and it is wrong to force =
traffic to stop for pedestrians in a 5 lane highway. Every time you ask =
traffic to stop you add to your air pollution.

A very good example of that is Knoxville, Tennessee. They are the =
crossroad for I-75 which runs from the Canadian boarder to Florida and =
I-40 which runs from coast to coast. There is an area in town where both =
highways run together and the truck traffic is stop and go for about 15 =
miles during rush hour. If you have ever watched diesel trucks take off =
from a stop you will see a great deal of air pollution. Knoxville is the =
7th most polluted city in the country. The Smoky Mountains are visible =
from there and the ozone pollution is in the serious zone for more than =
90 days some years in The Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

We need to take steps now to plan 5, 10 and 25 years down the road so =
the air in Moscow, Idaho doesn't become as polluted as Knoxville.

I don't think it is necessary to have another crosswalk between Line St. =
and Farm Road.

Dick Schmidt
------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3C73A.C9B57990

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Visionaries,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I measured the distance between Line =
St. and Farm=20
Road on Pullman Rd. It is .6 (6/10) of a mile so really the students =
need to go=20
.3 mile east or .3 west at the most to get to a crossing on Pullman Road =
with a=20
light. The one mile out of their way they are&nbsp;claiming doesn't add=20
up.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Another&nbsp;consideration is that most =
employees=20
of University of Idaho have not had a pay raise in 2 years or more. I =
think they=20
need to be taken care of before money is spent on a cross walk even =
though it=20
comes out of a different "pocket". </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We have 18 year olds who are smart =
enough to go to=20
college and they should be able to cross the road. Maybe we need =
crossing guards=20
or a shuttle bus!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also I am not in favor of another =
crosswalk on the=20
state highway. First of all the speed limit is 35 in that area and it is =
wrong=20
to&nbsp;force traffic to stop for pedestrians in a 5 lane highway. Every =
time=20
you ask traffic to stop you add to your air pollution.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A very good example of that is =
Knoxville,=20
Tennessee. They are the&nbsp;crossroad for I-75 which runs from the =
Canadian=20
boarder to Florida and I-40 which runs from coast to coast. There is an =
area in=20
town where both highways run together</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>and=20
the truck traffic is stop and go for about 15 miles&nbsp;during rush =
hour. If=20
you have ever watched diesel trucks take off from a stop you will see a =
great=20
deal of air pollution. Knoxville is the 7th most polluted city in the=20
country.&nbsp;The Smoky Mountains are visible from there&nbsp;and the =
ozone=20
pollution is in the serious zone for more than 90 days some years in The =
Great=20
Smoky Mountain National Park.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We need to take steps now to&nbsp;plan =
5, 10 and 25=20
years down the road so the air in Moscow, Idaho doesn't become as =
polluted as=20
Knoxville.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't think it is necessary to have =
another=20
crosswalk between Line St. and Farm Road.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dick=20
Schmidt</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C3C73A.C9B57990--