[Vision2020] Back to Basics

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:02:46 -0800

Jackie raises an interesting question:  what is going on?

There are 27 churches listed in the Yellow Pages for Moscow, and that number
doesn't include my own (Moscow-Pullman Friends Meeting) and undoubtedly
several others.

Let's say there are roughly 35 churches and faith communities in Moscow
(that's about 1 for every 600 residents during the school year, and 1 for
every 300 residents when UI is on holiday.  Of course, according to research
conducted in 2000 by the Barna Group and the Gallup organization, about 44%
of U.S. residents are unchurched, so the pool of actual churchgoers is much
smaller.)

At any rate, those churches do indeed have a very wide range of theologies
and social profiles; they practice and believe
astonishingly--breathtakingly--diverse things.

So why *has* Christ Church suddenly become the focus of community attention?
  I don't ask out of a desire to exacerbate the situation (which hardly
needs me to fan the flames, anyway), but because I genuinely wonder, as a
person with a theoretical and practical interest in how conflicts develop
and are (or aren't) resolved.  Of course I have my own ideas, but I want to
know what others think about the source, and the consequences, of this
change in our public conversation.

Melynda Huskey

P.S.  Let me revisit my own question to say I'm really hoping for answers
other than, "Because So-and-So [Doug Wilson, Rosemary Huskey, Steve Wilkins,
Joanne Muneta] is a Big Stupidhead,"  or "Because We've finally gotten
people to realize that We are right."

Grab our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup