[Vision2020] Bowing out of slavery discussions

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:12:39 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3C58A.245F2600

There was an excellent Letter to the Editor today from two long-term Moscow
residents who "got it" at Thursday's Town Hall meeting.

So I'm bowing out of any further slavery discussions. If you want to chat,
contact me off-list.

I leave you with their apt observations.

Best,
Dale

  _____

Too many fair-weather liberals

Liberal: "tolerant of views other than one's own; open-mindedness to ideas
that challenge established institutions; progressive" (Webster's). After
witnessing some of the furor over Doug Wilson and Christ Church in the press
and attending the town meeting Dec. 11, we believe some of the people who
identify themselves as "liberal" or "tolerant" in this community are
anything but.

We commend Sam Butterfield - a self-identified Moscow liberal who does not
agree with Wilson's views - for standing up and denouncing the persecution
of Wilson and his parishioners (including boycotting businesses, and thus
threatening livelihoods). However, many others who spoke that night were
hateful, rude, ignorant, and so morally self-righteous they make Cotton
Mather look like Larry Flynt.

Some individuals actually suggested Wilson leave town, condemned him for
criticizing public schools (not a position exclusive to Wilson), and
objected to him building a church downtown. In short, he was censured for
challenging the status quo.

In the '60s, a "liberal" was someone who questioned accepted norms,
governmental bureaucracy and coercion, social institutions (including public
education) and, more importantly, advocated people have the freedom to
express and live in a way they chose, even if it meant totally rejecting
mainstream society. In contrast, some "liberals" in this community condemn
Wilson because he does just that. They say they are "deeply offended."
Translated, "if you disagree with the established order (or me) I will
intimidate you until you're silenced."

We have been a resident of this community intermittently for 26 years, and
are appalled at the behavior many Muscovites have displayed toward Rev.
Wilson and Christ Church. Someone at the meeting asked if Wilson would like
to make an apology to the community; on the contrary, it is the community
that should apologize to him.

No, we are not members of Christ Church, or any other church. As members of
the Moscow community we are concerned that the most vocal and condemnatory
of Wilson would appear to represent us.

Bill Warren
Dora Rollins
Moscow

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3C58A.245F2600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D985550801-19122003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>There=20
was an excellent Letter to the Editor today from two long-term Moscow =
residents=20
who "got it" at Thursday's Town Hall meeting. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D985550801-19122003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D985550801-19122003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>So I'm=20
bowing out of any further slavery discussions. If you want to chat, =
contact me=20
off-list.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D985550801-19122003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D985550801-19122003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I=20
leave you with their apt observations. </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Vladimir Script" color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D5>Dale</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D4><BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
<B><FONT color=3D#800000>Too many fair-weather liberals </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P></B><FONT color=3D#800000>Liberal: "tolerant of views other than =
one's own;=20
open-mindedness to ideas that challenge established institutions; =
progressive"=20
(Webster's). After witnessing some of the furor over Doug Wilson and =
Christ=20
Church in the press and attending the town meeting Dec. 11, we believe =
some of=20
the people who identify themselves as "liberal" or "tolerant" in this =
community=20
are anything but. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>We commend Sam Butterfield - a self-identified =
Moscow=20
liberal who does not agree with Wilson's views - for standing up and =
denouncing=20
the persecution of Wilson and his parishioners (including boycotting =
businesses,=20
and thus threatening livelihoods). However, many others who spoke that =
night=20
were hateful, rude, ignorant, and so morally self-righteous they make =
Cotton=20
Mather look like Larry Flynt. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>Some individuals actually suggested Wilson =
leave town,=20
condemned him for criticizing public schools (not a position exclusive =
to=20
Wilson), and objected to him building a church downtown. In short, he =
was=20
censured for challenging the status quo. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>In the '60s, a "liberal" was someone who =
questioned=20
accepted norms, governmental bureaucracy and coercion, social =
institutions=20
(including public education) and, more importantly, advocated people =
have the=20
freedom to express and live in a way they chose, even if it meant =
totally=20
rejecting mainstream society. In contrast, some "liberals" in this =
community=20
condemn Wilson because he does just that. They say they are "deeply =
offended."=20
Translated, "if you disagree with the established order (or me) I will=20
intimidate you until you're silenced." </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>We have been a resident of this community =
intermittently=20
for 26 years, and are appalled at the behavior many Muscovites have =
displayed=20
toward Rev. Wilson and Christ Church. Someone at the meeting asked if =
Wilson=20
would like to make an apology to the community; on the contrary, it is =
the=20
community that should apologize to him. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>No, we are not members of Christ Church, or any =
other=20
church. As members of the Moscow community we are concerned that the =
most vocal=20
and condemnatory of Wilson would appear to represent us. </FONT>
<P><FONT color=3D#800000>Bill Warren <BR>Dora Rollins <BR>Moscow=20
</FONT></FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3C58A.245F2600--