[Vision2020] Reply to Mr. Lawyer

Mike Lawyer mike_l@moscow.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:57:24 -0800

Dear Dr. Gier,

Your travels have been extensive indeed and I'm happy that you've had the
opportunity to go to all those places and realize a "thorough study of all
the world's religions."

What I'm wondering is, in all of your travels have you ever met anyone who
thought their religion wasn't correct? My guess is you haven't. No one would
do something they didn't think was right. Thinking you are right and being
right are not the same thing, as you well know. But no one does what they do
because they think another way might be better or more right (or quicker, or
simpler, etc.).

Also, have you ever visited a place where the religion was not part and
parcel of the surrounding culture? Again, my bet is that you haven't. This
is because religion comes out people's finger tips (to coin a phrase) and a
person's beliefs in their god color everything they do; how they raise their
kids, how they form their government, etc.

And finally, I wonder what would happen if you jumped up in one of these
cultures you visited and told them that all their beliefs were false because
they've not done an exhaustive study on all the religions of the world. How
would they have treated you if you had ever done 1/10th the things you've
done to Christians over the years?

Not studying everything does not mean that I don't know anything.
Christianity is not true or false because I've not studied every religion on
the planet. It is true because it is true. And since it is true, everything
else, including those systems you've spent your life studying, are false.

I don't need to prove it, it is self authenticating. I only need to proclaim
that Jesus is Lord and all the kings of the earth will one day bow their
knees to him and worship him.

BTW this is only arrogant if I were boasting in myself. I am not. I claim
nothing for myself. Like the Apostle, whom I quoted the other day, I am what
I am because of the Grace of God in Christ. My boast is in the One who died
for me and rose from the dead on behalf of his people.

Mike Lawyer