[Vision2020] water testimony

French dfrench@moscow.com
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:45:55 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00F4_01C3C543.59A56C80

A couple of folks asked for a copy of this. Dianne
  Testimony for Moscow's Aquifer Management Public Hearing

  12-15-2003, 7:30 p.m., Council Chambers

  By Dianne French, Palouse Water Conservation Network

  Good evening Mr. Mayor, Council, Commissioners, and staff members.

  In November 2000 the City's Health and Environment Commission (H&E), =
of which I'm a member, presented a written water conservation plan to =
the City. Since then, I have stood before you on numerous occasions =
extolling the virtues of water conservation and water management =
planning.

  The commission, while rarely operating with a full membership, has =
read, researched, and summarized in order to provide current, correct =
and comprehensive information to the Council. The preponderance of =
evidence supports the conclusion that we are using our current water =
resources in an unsustainable manner. Whether the point of no return is =
100 or 1000 years away is immaterial to making sound, ethical, =
intergenerationally responsible public policy decisions.

  Since you've likely heard enough from me, allow me to quote some of my =
fellow citizens:

  QUOTES

  7-21-90-13 years ago--Tom Townsend: "If the local officials can't =
create an action plan that will actually manage and protect our water =
source, then perhaps it is time to turn to someone outside the family to =
do it for us." (Idahonian)

  2-15-91 A Pullman/Moscow Water Resource Committee member emphasized =
that "a cap on pumping does not mean a cap on economic, population, or =
university enrollment growth." (Idahonian)

  2-15-91 Ken Hall, UI Physical Plant Director, "A one percent limit =
doesn't mean you have to limit growth 1 percent. You can use =
conservation measures to offset growth. That's an important message we =
need to get across." (Idahonian)

  2-15-91 Jim Hudak, Pullman City Engineer, "We waste more water than =
you really will ever need for growth."(Idahonian)

  09-21-93 Gary Presol, then City Engineer, "Growth should be balanced =
with conservation efforts."

  (Moscow's Commission on Health and the Environment minutes)

  10-21-99 PBAC Minutes--"if population growth continues in the basin =
(which is likely), PER CAPITA water use in the basin must be reduced in =
order not to exceed the pumpage limits."

  01-20-00 PBAC Minutes--"Without intervention of state regulators or =
increased public pressure, it will be politically difficult for the =
entities to increase water rates or take other proactive steps to raise =
the funds necessary to stabilize the water levels in the Grande Ronde =
aquifer." [Note: this quote is from the draft minutes, but was stricken =
from the final minutes]

  02-17-00 PBAC Minutes--Larry Kirkland, "It is only a matter of time =
before State personnel confront the entities unless PBAC and the =
entities take strong action to counter what has been admitted." Suggests =
pumping more from Wanapum, increasing effluent re-use, increasing =
conservation, pricing water correctly, and utilizing surface water as an =
expensive last resort.

  09-21-00 PBAC Minutes--Bob Haynes reminds PBAC that, legally, the =
State could shut down expanded use of drinking water wells in the basin =
because it appears groundwater mining is occurring, which is illegal in =
Idaho.

  6-19-01 Letter to Editor, Moscow Pullman Daily News "Those who are =
pushing growth should get involved in the water supply issue now so that =
five, 10 or 15 years from now we are not facing a crisis of water =
supply." "A critical decision is needed in the near future to say who =
will pay for the supplemental water supplies required for growth and to =
stabilize the falling water levels in the primary-source aquifer."

  06-13-02 PBAC Minutes-PBAC representative from Pullman, Mark Workman, =
passes on concerns that there is an "apparent lack of progress toward a =
solution to stabilize the Grande Ronde levels. Kirkland responds that =
"significant progress toward understanding the geohydrology, but no =
solution has yet been identified as the appropriate action to begin =
stabilizing Grande Ronde water levels." He reminds entities that "ALL =
potential solutions will require significantly more financial =
participation from entities than is currently being required."

  12-19-02 PBAC Minutes--Bob Haynes again stated that the ONLY reason =
the Palouse Basin is not in a Critical Groundwater Area is because PBAC =
appears to be taking action

  05-19-03--Discussions around the Naylor Farms protocol and whether the =
City should drop its protestor status prompted then Public Works =
Director Mark Cook to outline pros and cons of a Critical Groundwater =
Designation at a City meeting:

  Pros:

      a.. Increased staff review from IDWR about what is happening in =
our basin=20
      b.. Additional water rights applications would be held to a higher =
standard=20
      c.. Increased level of protection for already established county =
wells (presumably residential domestic wells that could be impacted by =
large commercial water users)=20
      d.. Would not adversely impact Moscow's ability to add =
connections-as we have a reasonable appropriation of water already (we =
use about =BD of current water right)=20
      e.. No increased monitoring costs (as called for in the Naylor =
Protocol)=20
  Cons:

      a.. Increased anxiety for any applicant seeking water rights in =
Latah County-although exempt well status for individual domestic wells =
would remain unchanged=20
      b.. Gives IDWR director ability to close basin to future =
appropriation=20
      c.. Possibility that it would bar any new water rights for all of =
Latah County (however, the Palouse Basin has a specific geologic =
boundary that does not underlie any town in Latah County besides Moscow)
  Overall:

      a.. Provides maximum protection to Palouse Basin wells so actually =
a benefit to Moscow=20
      b.. The Naylor Protocol puts a data collection burden on =
additional applicants rather than the City=20
      c.. Growth needs to be forecast-out to 40 years-then allocate =
water on a planning horizon. Mark Cook recommended that the council =
pursue in near future.

  Designation and/or moratoriums are not necessarily permanent once =
imposed. If research yields new theories, weather patterns change to =
increase groundwater, or we opt to harness an additional water source, =
then the Idaho Department of Water Resources can change the status.

  8-13-03 Moscow Pullman Daily News--Larry Kirkland, Executive =
Secretary, PBAC

  "There isn't good evidence for the proposition that Moscow conserves =
more than Pullman. Moscow residents could get by on about half the =
current per person water use, Kirkland said. "If anything, the =
conservation targets should be made more strict. Trying to do anything =
with the percentage (targets) is an attempt to whitewash the magnitude =
of the problem," he said. "Eventually the public would recognize we were =
focusing on a side issue."

  [This section omitted from spoken testimony due to time constraints

  9-30-03 Argonaut (University of Idaho Student Newspaper)

  "You never miss the water 'til the well runs dry," said Tom =
Stroschein, Latah County commissioner and a member of the Palouse Basin =
Aquifer Committee.

  Jim Osiensky, UI professor of hydrogeology, has also researched the =
matter. Although Palouse residents live in a seemingly water-rich =
environment, Osiensky said, only one out of every 22 inches of rainfall =
is absorbed by the ground. The majority of it drains off into Paradise =
Creek. Osiensky also said his calculations indicate that from the one =
inch absorbed by the ground, only one centimeter will make it to the =
Grande Ronde for recharge, roughly 2,800 years after it fell to the =
ground. "It takes one cubic foot of basalt, roughly the size of a small =
computer monitor, to give us one teaspoon of water," Osiensky said. In =
comparison, Moscow Pump No. 9 runs continuously, pumping 200 gallons of =
water to the surface every minute, he said.]

  11-24-03 Director of Idaho Department of Water Resources, Karl =
Dreher-what is needed is "broader public debate on how to proceed. PBAC =
is largely technical; however, technical groups do not always afford =
steps needed to change public policy. A broader board-take Idaho PBAC =
representatives and make them reps on the advisory committee and ADD 2 =
advocacy group members and 1-2 members of the economic development =
community. This would preserve and enhance the regional group-so you =
make the Washington PBAC members as ex-officio. The group could then =
arrest the declines and provide a long-term sustainable GW supply." =
"Formalizing this will make funding easier than doing it on the current =
ad-hoc basis."

  People are very reluctant to change habits, even if the change =
represents no degree of deprivation. Bear in mind, however Moscow =
Citizens appear supportive of real conservation.

  SURVEY DATA

  1969 Survey indicates citizen support for water resource conservation

  1986 72% of respondents considered need for water conservation in =
Moscow to be very or somewhat serious

          65% of respondents thought City should implement W cons =
measures "now or in the near future"

    2002.. 87% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that City should =
take additional steps to protect and conserve our water supply=20
    2003.. 81% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that there is =
cause for concern regarding the amount of water in our aquifer
  70% agree or strongly agree that they can reduce water use without =
detriment to quality of life
  Each of the 7 conservation measures listed received at least a 65% =
approval rating

  85% fee long term, healthy growth in Moscow depends on conservation of =
and efficient use of water

  As a business owner in the health care field, our business has been =
impacted by numerous procedural and market changes in the past 15 years. =
While not always easy and pleasant at first, once we change our habits =
or thinking, things go smoothly once again.

  While my faith in local ability to craft public policy has been =
shaken, my faith in the ingenuity of the people of Moscow has not.

  Builders and plumbers are certainly capable of figuring out =
water-efficient technology, gray-water and rainwater collection systems. =
Additional jobs may be created in the area of retrofitting existing =
buildings.

  Those in lawn care can retrain and retool to install and maintain the =
alternative landscapes that will be needed if lawns become less =
prevalent.

  Sprinkler system installers will be busy retrofitting existing systems =
with water conserving hardware and installing new systems to =
appropriately irrigate new types of landscaping.

  And what about Pullman? Pullman had a xeriscape demonstration garden =
before Moscow did, did a rate study (their base rate is now almost twice =
Moscow's) and changed to a more informative billing format in 1999 and =
provides conservation messages on that bill.

  [This section omitted from spoken testimony due to time constraints

  Letter to the Editor, Moscow Pullman Daily News, from Dr. John =
Wenders, University of Idaho Economist: "From its recent actions, one =
can only conclude that the City is not really interested in conserving =
water or saving money, only talking about it.the price for which will be =
paid by future citizens who are left holding the bag after present =
Council members, having wasted lots of water, are long gone." That could =
have been written last week, but it's from 09-22-99]

  Based on pumping figures obtained via the Moscow Water Department for =
January through November 2003, and using the average pumping from the =
last two Decembers, I project that Moscow's pumping for 2003 will be 919 =
million gallons-a new pumping record. In June 2003, Mark Cook calculated =
pumping targets that would retroactively return Moscow to compliance =
with the goals of the 1992 Groundwater Management Plan. The target for =
2003 was 814 million gallons. We will be 105 million gallons or 13 =
percent over that target.=20

  The bottom line goal is long-term sustainable use of our valuable =
groundwater resource while supporting progressive development in =
compliance with Moscow's Comprehensive Plan and State law.

  Thank you.

  Other notes:

  Year-to-Date pumpage through August: 2003 671,474,000=20

  2002 610,379,000 2003 10% higher than 2002

  2001 622,388,000 2003 8% higher than 2001

  June, July, & August only: 2003 372,800

  2002 327,800 2003 13.7% higher than 2002

  2001 341,600 2003 9.1% higher than 2001

------=_NextPart_000_00F4_01C3C543.59A56C80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D3><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>A&nbsp;couple of folks=20
asked for a copy of this. Dianne</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV>
  <P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>Testimony for Moscow=92s Aquifer Management =
Public=20
  Hearing</STRONG></P>
  <P align=3Dcenter><STRONG>12-15-2003, 7:30 p.m., Council =
Chambers</STRONG></P>
  <P>By Dianne French, Palouse Water Conservation Network</P>
  <P>Good evening Mr. Mayor, Council, Commissioners, and staff =
members.</P>
  <P>In November 2000 the City=92s Health and Environment Commission =
(H&amp;E), of=20
  which I=92m a member, presented a written water conservation plan to =
the City.=20
  Since then, I have stood before you on numerous occasions extolling =
the=20
  virtues of water conservation and water management planning.</P>
  <P>The commission, while rarely operating with a full membership, has =
read,=20
  researched, and summarized in order to provide current, correct and=20
  comprehensive information to the Council. The preponderance of =
evidence=20
  supports the conclusion that we are using our current water resources =
in an=20
  unsustainable manner. Whether the point of no return is 100 or 1000 =
years away=20
  is immaterial to making sound, ethical, intergenerationally =
responsible public=20
  policy decisions.</P>
  <P>Since you=92ve likely heard enough from me, allow me to quote some =
of my=20
  fellow citizens:</P>
  <P>QUOTES</P>
  <P>7-21-90=9713 years ago--Tom Townsend: "If the local officials =
can=92t create an=20
  action plan that will actually manage and protect our water source, =
then=20
  perhaps it is time to turn to someone outside the family to do it for =
us."=20
  (Idahonian)</P>
  <P>2-15-91 A Pullman/Moscow Water Resource Committee member emphasized =
that "a=20
  cap on pumping does not mean a cap on economic, population, or =
university=20
  enrollment growth." (Idahonian)</P>
  <P>2-15-91 Ken Hall, UI Physical Plant Director, "A one percent limit =
doesn=92t=20
  mean you have to limit growth 1 percent. You can use conservation =
measures to=20
  offset growth. That=92s an important message we need to get across."=20
  (Idahonian)</P>
  <P>2-15-91 Jim Hudak, Pullman City Engineer, "We waste more water than =
you=20
  really will ever need for growth."(Idahonian)</P>
  <P>09-21-93 Gary Presol, then City Engineer, "Growth should be =
balanced with=20
  conservation efforts."</P>
  <P>(Moscow=92s Commission on Health and the Environment minutes)</P>
  <P>10-21-99 PBAC Minutes--"if population growth continues in the basin =
(which=20
  is likely), PER CAPITA water use in the basin must be reduced in order =
not to=20
  exceed the pumpage limits."</P>
  <P>01-20-00 PBAC Minutes--"Without intervention of state regulators or =

  increased public pressure, it will be politically difficult for the =
entities=20
  to increase water rates or take other proactive steps to raise the =
funds=20
  necessary to stabilize the water levels in the Grande Ronde aquifer." =
[Note:=20
  this quote is from the draft minutes, but was stricken from the final=20
  minutes]</P>
  <P>02-17-00 PBAC Minutes--Larry Kirkland, "It is only a matter of time =
before=20
  State personnel confront the entities unless PBAC and the entities =
take strong=20
  action to counter what has been admitted." Suggests pumping more from =
Wanapum,=20
  increasing effluent re-use, increasing conservation, pricing water =
correctly,=20
  and utilizing surface water as an expensive last resort.</P>
  <P>09-21-00 PBAC Minutes--Bob Haynes reminds PBAC that, legally, the =
State=20
  could shut down expanded use of drinking water wells in the basin =
because it=20
  appears groundwater mining is occurring, which is illegal in =
Idaho.</P>
  <P>6-19-01 Letter to Editor, Moscow Pullman Daily News "Those who are =
pushing=20
  growth should get involved in the water supply issue now so that five, =
10 or=20
  15 years from now we are not facing a crisis of water supply." "A =
critical=20
  decision is needed in the near future to say who will pay for the =
supplemental=20
  water supplies required for growth and to stabilize the falling water =
levels=20
  in the primary-source aquifer."</P>
  <P>06-13-02 PBAC Minutes=97PBAC representative from Pullman, Mark =
Workman,=20
  passes on concerns that there is an "apparent lack of progress toward =
a=20
  solution to stabilize the Grande Ronde levels. Kirkland responds that=20
  "significant progress toward understanding the geohydrology, but no =
solution=20
  has yet been identified as the appropriate action to begin stabilizing =
Grande=20
  Ronde water levels." He reminds entities that "ALL potential solutions =
will=20
  require significantly more financial participation from entities than =
is=20
  currently being required."</P>
  <P>12-19-02 PBAC Minutes--Bob Haynes again stated that the ONLY reason =
the=20
  Palouse Basin is not in a Critical Groundwater Area is because PBAC =
appears to=20
  be taking action</P>
  <P>05-19-03--Discussions around the Naylor Farms protocol and whether =
the City=20
  should drop its protestor status prompted then Public Works Director =
Mark Cook=20
  to outline pros and cons of a Critical Groundwater Designation at a =
City=20
  meeting:</P>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>Pros:</P></DIR></DIR>
  <UL>
    <UL>
      <LI>Increased staff review from IDWR about what is happening in =
our basin=20
      <LI>Additional water rights applications would be held to a higher =

      standard=20
      <LI>Increased level of protection for already established county =
wells=20
      (presumably residential domestic wells that could be impacted by =
large=20
      commercial water users)=20
      <LI>Would not adversely impact Moscow=92s ability to add =
connections=97as we=20
      have a reasonable appropriation of water already (we use about =BD =
of=20
      current water right)=20
      <LI>No increased monitoring costs (as called for in the Naylor =
Protocol)=20
      </LI></UL></UL>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>Cons:</P></DIR></DIR>
  <UL>
    <UL>
      <LI>Increased anxiety for any applicant seeking water rights in =
Latah=20
      County=97although exempt well status for individual domestic wells =
would=20
      remain unchanged=20
      <LI>Gives IDWR director ability to close basin to future =
appropriation=20
      <LI>Possibility that it would bar any new water rights for all of =
Latah=20
      County (however, the Palouse Basin has a specific geologic =
boundary that=20
      does not underlie any town in Latah County besides =
Moscow)</LI></UL></UL>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>Overall:</P></DIR></DIR>
  <UL>
    <UL>
      <LI>Provides maximum protection to Palouse Basin wells so actually =
a=20
      benefit to Moscow=20
      <LI>The Naylor Protocol puts a data collection burden on =
additional=20
      applicants rather than the City=20
      <LI>Growth needs to be forecast=97out to 40 years=97then allocate =
water on a=20
      planning horizon. Mark Cook recommended that the council pursue in =
near=20
      future.</LI></UL></UL>
  <P>&nbsp;</P>
  <P>Designation and/or moratoriums are not necessarily permanent once =
imposed.=20
  If research yields new theories, weather patterns change to increase=20
  groundwater, or we opt to harness an additional water source, then the =
Idaho=20
  Department of Water Resources can change the status.</P>
  <P>8-13-03 Moscow Pullman Daily News--Larry Kirkland, Executive =
Secretary,=20
  PBAC</P>
  <P>"There isn=92t good evidence for the proposition that Moscow =
conserves more=20
  than Pullman. Moscow residents could get by on about half the current =
per=20
  person water use, Kirkland said. "If anything, the conservation =
targets should=20
  be made more strict. Trying to do anything with the percentage =
(targets) is an=20
  attempt to whitewash the magnitude of the problem," he said. =
"Eventually the=20
  public would recognize we were focusing on a side issue."</P>
  <P>&nbsp;</P>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>[This section omitted from spoken testimony due to time =
constraints</P>
  <P>9-30-03 Argonaut (University of Idaho Student Newspaper)</P>
  <P>"You never miss the water =91til the well runs dry," said Tom =
Stroschein,=20
  Latah County commissioner and a member of the Palouse Basin Aquifer=20
  Committee.</P>
  <P>Jim Osiensky, UI professor of hydrogeology, has also researched the =
matter.=20
  Although Palouse residents live in a seemingly water-rich environment, =

  Osiensky said, only one out of every 22 inches of rainfall is absorbed =
by the=20
  ground. The majority of it drains off into Paradise Creek. Osiensky =
also said=20
  his calculations indicate that from the one inch absorbed by the =
ground, only=20
  one centimeter will make it to the Grande Ronde for recharge, roughly =
2,800=20
  years after it fell to the ground. "It takes one cubic foot of basalt, =
roughly=20
  the size of a small computer monitor, to give us one teaspoon of =
water,"=20
  Osiensky said. In comparison, Moscow Pump No. 9 runs continuously, =
pumping 200=20
  gallons of water to the surface every minute, he said.]</P>
  <P>&nbsp;</P></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>
  <P>11-24-03 Director of Idaho Department of Water Resources, Karl =
Dreher=97what=20
  is needed is "broader public debate on how to proceed. PBAC is largely =

  technical; however, technical groups do not always afford steps needed =
to=20
  change public policy. A broader board=97take Idaho PBAC =
representatives and make=20
  them reps on the advisory committee and ADD 2 advocacy group members =
and 1-2=20
  members of the economic development community. This would preserve and =
enhance=20
  the regional group=97so you make the Washington PBAC members as =
ex-officio. The=20
  group could then arrest the declines and provide a long-term =
sustainable GW=20
  supply." "Formalizing this will make funding easier than doing it on =
the=20
  current ad-hoc basis."</P>
  <P>People are very reluctant to change habits, even if the change =
represents=20
  no degree of deprivation. Bear in mind, however Moscow Citizens appear =

  supportive of real conservation.</P>
  <P>SURVEY DATA</P>
  <P>1969 Survey indicates citizen support for water resource =
conservation</P>
  <P>1986 72% of respondents considered need for water conservation in =
Moscow to=20
  be very or somewhat serious</P>
  <P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65% of respondents thought =
City=20
  should implement W cons measures "now or in the near future"</P>
  <OL start=3D2002>
    <LI>87% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that City should =
take=20
    additional steps to protect and conserve our water supply=20
    <LI>81% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that there is cause =
for=20
    concern regarding the amount of water in our aquifer</LI></OL>
  <DIV>70% agree or strongly agree that they can reduce water use =
without=20
  detriment to quality of life</DIV>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>Each of the 7 conservation measures listed received at least a 65% =
approval=20
  rating</P>
  <P>85% fee long term, healthy growth in Moscow depends on conservation =
of and=20
  efficient use of water</P></DIR></DIR>
  <P>As a business owner in the health care field, our business has been =

  impacted by numerous procedural and market changes in the past 15 =
years. While=20
  not always easy and pleasant at first, once we change our habits or =
thinking,=20
  things go smoothly once again.</P>
  <P>While my faith in local ability to craft public policy has been =
shaken, my=20
  faith in the ingenuity of the people of Moscow has not.</P>
  <P>Builders and plumbers are certainly capable of figuring out =
water-efficient=20
  technology, gray-water and rainwater collection systems. Additional =
jobs may=20
  be created in the area of retrofitting existing buildings.</P>
  <P>Those in lawn care can retrain and retool to install and maintain =
the=20
  alternative landscapes that will be needed if lawns become less =
prevalent.</P>
  <P>Sprinkler system installers will be busy retrofitting existing =
systems with=20
  water conserving hardware and installing new systems to appropriately =
irrigate=20
  new types of landscaping.</P>
  <P>And what about Pullman? Pullman had a xeriscape demonstration =
garden before=20
  Moscow did, did a rate study (their base rate is now almost twice =
Moscow=92s)=20
  and changed to a more informative billing format in 1999 and provides=20
  conservation messages on that bill.</P>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <DIR>
  <P>[This section omitted from spoken testimony due to time =
constraints</P>
  <P>Letter to the Editor, Moscow Pullman Daily News, from Dr. John =
Wenders,=20
  University of Idaho Economist: "From its recent actions, one can only =
conclude=20
  that the City is not really interested in conserving water or saving =
money,=20
  only talking about it=85the price for which will be paid by future =
citizens who=20
  are left holding the bag after present Council members, having wasted =
lots of=20
  water, are long gone." That could have been written last week, but =
it=92s from=20
  09-22-99]</P></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>
  <P>Based on pumping figures obtained via the Moscow Water Department =
for=20
  January through November 2003, and using the average pumping from the =
last two=20
  Decembers, I project that Moscow=92s pumping for 2003 will be 919 =
million=20
  gallons=97a new pumping record. In June 2003, Mark Cook calculated =
pumping=20
  targets that would retroactively return Moscow to compliance with the =
goals of=20
  the 1992 Groundwater Management Plan. The target for 2003 was 814 =
million=20
  gallons. We will be 105 million gallons or 13 percent over that =
target. </P>
  <P>The bottom line goal is long-term sustainable use of our valuable=20
  groundwater resource while supporting progressive development in =
compliance=20
  with Moscow=92s Comprehensive Plan and State law.</P>
  <P>Thank you.</P>
  <P>&nbsp;</P>
  <P>Other notes:</P>
  <P>Year-to-Date pumpage through August: 2003 671,474,000 </P>
  <P>2002 610,379,000 2003 10% higher than 2002</P>
  <P>2001 622,388,000 2003 8% higher than 2001</P>
  <P>June, July, &amp; August only: 2003 372,800</P>
  <P>2002 327,800 2003 13.7% higher than 2002</P>
  <P>2001 341,600 2003 9.1% higher than=20
2001</P></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F4_01C3C543.59A56C80--