[Vision2020] Holocaust denier visits Moscow

bill london london@moscow.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:28:24 -0800

--------------060003000008000003070609

  Below is the Tribune article.  I did not attend the event, so all I
  know is what I read...

  BL

  -----

  Holocaust denier sounds off despite restaurant's brush-off; David
  Irving speaks to small group in Moscow

David Johnson

MOSCOW -- Holocaust denier David Irving was served with no-trespassing
papers here Tuesday evening after a local restaurant manager refused to
give the controversial British World War II historian a place to meet
and sell books.

Irving, who arrived in a white rental vehicle on a tour of Western
states, protested when he was denied access to the Mark IV Motor Inn
Restaurant and Lounge and then moved his gathering to the Hampton Inn
across town.

A sign in the Hampton Inn lobby read: "Welcome Par Force U.K. Limited."

About a dozen people were in attendance, and Irving invited the Lewiston
Tribune to cover his talk.

"It's very silly, really," he said of repeated attempts by his critics
to foil his appearances. He apparently had space reserved at both sites
in Moscow. But Moscow Police Capt. David Duke confirmed late Tuesday
afternoon that a Mark IV employee had requested assistance to ensure
that Irving remained off the property. The business closed early to
ensure against any problems.

"I wish this had never happened," said Jeff Cheser, manager and co-owner
of the Mark IV. "He was trying to pull a fast one on us."

Word of Irving's scheduled visit to Moscow was first reported a few
weeks ago. He had made a similar stop on the Palouse in 1998 when he
held a meeting in Pullman. His pending arrival here became the subject
of much talk Monday on Vision 2020, a local computer bulletin board. A
report of the Mark IV venue then leaked out and Cheser, when told of the
situation, said he knew nothing about Irving.

By Tuesday afternoon, Cheser said he'd been receiving calls about the
meeting and decided to close the business rather than deal with Irving
and the potential conflicts that seem to follow him. Duke said Irving
was served with the no trespassing notice without further incident.

The Lewiston Tribune later learned of his arrival at the Hampton Inn.
Inside, he had books, tapes and CDs -- virtually all pertaining to his
historical views of war. Irving is best known for his books "Hitler's
War" and "Churchill's War." In both, he disputes much of mainstream
history, particularly the Holocaust, contending that it never happened.
Once recognized by mainstream publishers, he said no one will touch his
books anymore. So he self-publishes his tomes.

"Everywhere I go, there are attempts to silence me," he said. He said
he's been denied entry into almost every country except the United
States. "The one thing they don't want to do is debate me, because I
have a lot of answers."

One of the biggest misnomers, said Irving, is the way his politics are
characterized. "I don't know why I'm described as right wing," he told
those in attendance. In fact, he said, he questions everything about
America's involvement in Iraq and suggests that all of the Bush
administration' reasons for going and staying in Iraq are blatant
falsehoods or lies.

"The weapons (of mass destruction) don't exist, let's face it," said
Irving. "George Bush can't even say nuclear." He also dismissed the
administration's other war rationales -- that Saddam Hussein is evil,
that the regime needed to be changed, and that the war is about fighting
terrorism -- as ploys to mask the real reason: to get a geo-political
foothold in the Middle East.

Standing before his listeners with his books piled around him on tables,
Irving warned that Saddam and other Iraqi leaders have borrowed from the
history of war by allowing the United States to virtually race its way
into Baghdad. He said a trap was set and the battlefield is now staged
for a lengthy and bloody insurgency. He predicted that the attacks on
American troops will steadily increase despite the capture of Saddam.

"You thought you had a victory." But what people fail to understand,
said Irving, is that Iraq is surrounded by friendly countries because
they all have a common enemy -- America and Israel.

As of press time, Moscow police said there were no more reports of
problems involving Irving.

------

Johnson may be contacted at deveryone@potlatch.com

Saundra Lund wrote:

><expletive deleted>
>
>I don't subscribe to the Trib -- can anyone who does please provide more
>details?  Any identification of the group(s)/individual(s) responsible for
>David Irving's decision to stop in ***our*** community to spew forth his
>hate & lies?  Any explanation from The Hampton Inn about why they provided a
>venue for his verbal vomit, *particularly* after The Mark IV did the Right
>and responsible thing???  Were those in the audience supporters or
>protesters or observers?  Was the audience just those traveling with him or
>are they individuals from this community who support him?  More information,
>PLEASE!
>
>I don't know, but it looked to me like his "tour" was a driving one.  When I
>first heard about his plan to stop in Moscow, the burning question for me
>was, "What on earth makes this person think there are people in Moscow,
>Idaho who would want to hear him or buy his lies???"  I mean, this isn't a
>big city like Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Denver, or Chicago where the
>sheer number of people living there would guarantee a few completely twisted
>souls interested in his hate & lies.
>
>Why Moscow?!?!  What the H*LL is going on in our community that would make
>this . . . man stop here?!?!?  What message is getting it out to the world
>indicating that this sort of hatred would be welcome in our community???
>
>Whatever it is, as a community, we need to take a long hard look at
>ourselves and address those issues:  for every person who showed up in
>support of such sh*t, there are more in our community with the same
>non-thinking mentality who didn't show up.
>
>I really am just sickened by this  :-(
>

>Saundra Lund
>Moscow, ID
>
>The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do
>nothing.
>-Edmund Burke

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<h1>Below is the Tribune article.&nbsp; I did not attend the event, so all I
know is what I read...</h1>
<h1>BL<br>
</h1>
<h1>-----<br>
</h1>
<h1><br>
</h1>
<h1>Holocaust denier sounds off despite restaurant's brush-off; David
Irving speaks to small group in Moscow</h1>
<address>David Johnson </address>
no-trespassing papers here Tuesday evening after a local restaurant
manager refused to give the controversial British World War II
historian a place to meet and sell books. </p>
states, protested when he was denied access to the Mark IV Motor Inn
Restaurant and Lounge and then moved his gathering to the Hampton Inn
across town. </p>
Limited." </p>
Lewiston Tribune to cover his talk. </p>
critics to foil his appearances. He apparently had space reserved at
both sites in Moscow. But Moscow Police Capt. David Duke confirmed late
Tuesday afternoon that a Mark IV employee had requested assistance to
ensure that Irving remained off the property. The business closed early
to ensure against any problems. </p>
co-owner of the Mark IV. "He was trying to pull a fast one on us." </p>
weeks ago. He had made a similar stop on the Palouse in 1998 when he
held a meeting in Pullman. His pending arrival here became the subject
of much talk Monday on Vision 2020, a local computer bulletin board. A
report of the Mark IV venue then leaked out and Cheser, when told of
the situation, said he knew nothing about Irving. </p>
the meeting and decided to close the business rather than deal with
Irving and the potential conflicts that seem to follow him. Duke said
Irving was served with the no trespassing notice without further
incident. </p>
Inn. Inside, he had books, tapes and CDs -- virtually all pertaining to
his historical views of war. Irving is best known for his books
"Hitler's War" and "Churchill's War." In both, he disputes much of
mainstream history, particularly the Holocaust, contending that it
never happened. Once recognized by mainstream publishers, he said no
one will touch his books anymore. So he self-publishes his tomes. </p>
said he's been denied entry into almost every country except the United
States. "The one thing they don't want to do is debate me, because I
have a lot of answers." </p>
are characterized. "I don't know why I'm described as right wing," he
told those in attendance. In fact, he said, he questions everything
about America's involvement in Iraq and suggests that all of the Bush
administration' reasons for going and staying in Iraq are blatant
falsehoods or lies. </p>
Irving. "George Bush can't even say nuclear." He also dismissed the
administration's other war rationales -- that Saddam Hussein is evil,
that the regime needed to be changed, and that the war is about
fighting terrorism -- as ploys to mask the real reason: to get a
geo-political foothold in the Middle East. </p>
tables, Irving warned that Saddam and other Iraqi leaders have borrowed
from the history of war by allowing the United States to virtually race
its way into Baghdad. He said a trap was set and the battlefield is now
staged for a lengthy and bloody insurgency. He predicted that the
attacks on American troops will steadily increase despite the capture
of Saddam. </p>
said Irving, is that Iraq is surrounded by friendly countries because
they all have a common enemy -- America and Israel. </p>
problems involving Irving. </p>
Saundra Lund wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">&lt;expletive deleted&gt;

I don't subscribe to the Trib -- can anyone who does please provide more
details?  Any identification of the group(s)/individual(s) responsible for
David Irving's decision to stop in ***our*** community to spew forth his
hate &amp; lies?  Any explanation from The Hampton Inn about why they provided a
venue for his verbal vomit, *particularly* after The Mark IV did the Right
and responsible thing???  Were those in the audience supporters or
protesters or observers?  Was the audience just those traveling with him or
are they individuals from this community who support him?  More information,
PLEASE!

I don't know, but it looked to me like his "tour" was a driving one.  When I
first heard about his plan to stop in Moscow, the burning question for me
was, "What on earth makes this person think there are people in Moscow,
Idaho who would want to hear him or buy his lies???"  I mean, this isn't a
big city like Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Denver, or Chicago where the
sheer number of people living there would guarantee a few completely twisted
souls interested in his hate &amp; lies.

[...]

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;&macr;

.

  </pre>

--------------060003000008000003070609--