[Vision2020] David Irving - Caution

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:37:46 -0800

Dear Dick (and all),

Freedom of speech is not the guarantee of a venue.  Mr. Irving does have the
right to express his views, however peculiar; the use of the Mark IV (or any
other privately owned business) in which to express them is *not* a right.
Let him stand on a street corner and speak his mind.

Moreover, the right to express a view is not the same thing as the right to
express a view without a challenge.  David Irving may legally say, as he did
in a speech in 1991: " Ridicule [of the Holocaust and its survivors] alone
isn’t enough, you’ve got to be tasteless about it. You’ve got to say things
like “More women died on the back seat of Edward Kennedy’s car at
Chappaquiddick than in the gas chambers at Auschwitz [Applause]."   But if
he says such a thing in my home town, he'd better expect that I won't sit at
home placidly nodding over my knitting.

Ignoring violent extremists of any stripe is not an effective strategy.
They most often interpret silence as tacit approval or encouragement.  Do we
want Moscow to become a haven for neo-Nazis and white supremacists through
our unwillingness to speak up against them?

Valuing diversity of thought, of identity, and of experience does not mean
that we cannot distinguish between harmful and valuable ideas.  Nazism,
anti-semitism, and racism are harmful to us all, and it's our obligation as
citizens to say so clearly.

Melynda Huskey

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.