[Vision2020] taxes in Moscow

Cjsnightclub@aol.com Cjsnightclub@aol.com
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:09:48 EST

--part1_ac.4d5437f1.2d10ce9c_boundary

I received a private email from an elected official informing me that the
trade off for the University in Moscow, providing numerous jobs, is that they are
not required to pay property taxes and they own 25-30% of the land in Moscow.
He then stated this is why our property taxes are so high which is to
compensate for the University not paying taxes.

My opinion we need to stop counting student base in our census pool as
permanent residents, for which they are not. Because of the count our water run off
is putting us in a different category which will cost us millions to fix. As
stated in prior notifications, the federal government gave us a pass this time.
If we were working with a "true" population base this would not be of concern
yet. Also, the true population base that is paying the property taxes were
having to pay as though our population is 2 1/2 times larger than it already is.
All this for a privilege of having a University in town? I don't see why the
citizens of Moscow should be penalized and forced to pay higher taxes just for
the privilege of having the University in town? I think this "burden" should
be shared through the whole entire state as the student base comes from the
whole state and beyond. The extra tax burden of educating the students children
and they are living in University housing and not paying any tax, these bills
come to roost on us "real" residents. Am I glad the University is here? You
bet! Am I upset that the University pays no property taxes? No, I am not. I am
upset that my elected officials think that it is a "privilege" that the
University is here and that all of us citizens that pay taxes should just bend over
and enjoy it. I think the state needs to Annie up it's fair share. The
University needs to get out of the housing business. The housing business belongs to
the entrepreneurs and capitalists. It has nothing to do with education. Just
that alone would increase our tax base tremendously and we need to stop the
University from buying from housing from the private sector and taking it off the
tax rolls.

I need a politician who represents my views. Anyone out there?

Phil Roderick

--part1_ac.4d5437f1.2d10ce9c_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I received a private email from an=20=
elected official informing me that the trade off for the University in Mosco=
w, providing numerous jobs, is that they are not required to pay property ta=
xes and they own 25-30% of the land in Moscow. He then stated this is why ou=
r property taxes are so high which is to compensate for the University not p=
aying taxes.<BR>
<BR>
[...]
 a "privilege" that the University is here and that all of us citizens that=20=
pay taxes should just bend over and enjoy it. I think the state needs to Ann=
ie up it's fair share. The University needs to get out of the housing busine=
ss. The housing business belongs to the entrepreneurs and capitalists. It ha=
s nothing to do with education. Just that alone would increase our tax base=20=
tremendously and we need to stop the University from buying from housing fro=
m the private sector and taking it off the tax rolls.<BR>
<BR>
I need a politician who represents my views. Anyone out there?<BR>
<BR>
Phil Roderick</FONT></HTML>

--part1_ac.4d5437f1.2d10ce9c_boundary--