[Vision2020] Public Conversations Project ALSO Study Circles

Linda Pall lpall@moscow.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:38:50 -0800

Dear Melynda and All,

There is another very good (and FREE) source called Study Circles (website:
www.studycircles.org).

Study Circles has been going for more than a decade and has worked with
community in every part of the US to help grassroots democracy work. They
have tackled important community issues from race relations to growth to
education to medical services and access. Study Circles are small group
community discussions, facilitated by trained community members. When a
community commits to organizing study circles, the national group provides
lots of process-oriented information and assistance: the substance of what
is discussed and the outcomes are all the product of the community.

Take a look at the website. The Portsmouth, New Hampshire, information is
very helpful. Kuna, Idaho, has done a wonderful job with Study Circles... I
think Payette is getting started as I write. It's a powerful vehicle for
community building and problem solving.

I hope we can get several important Moscow sponsors for this sort of
broad-based community dialogue, maybe on the subject of growth. It would be
ideal to have the newspaper, the Univeristy, the City and maybe the hospital
as co-sponsors...

All the best,

Linda