[Vision2020] Landmark? Case

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 03:35:48 -0600

I don't know if anyone has corrected this yet, Jackie (my hotmail was
rejecting some messages for a day), but Ruth's case IS a landmark case.
Here is a website that explains its importance:

http://www.ncjfcj.org/dept/fvd/Publications/?ACTION=PUBGET&Filename=Synergy_Vol7No.2.pdf

I'm no expert on this, but I know from legal services providers throughout
the Northwest that the Drollinger case impacts states other than Montana
because we are all in the Ninth Judicial Circuit.  If I'm not mistaken,
litigants arguing in a state like Idaho may ask the court to take notice of
decisions from other states, especially in cases that involve questions of
jurisdiction between states and cases that consider both federal and state
laws, such as laws about child custody jurisdiction.

Ruth did not exaggerate the importance of her case.  Legal services
proivders and domestic violence advocates throughout the country were
talking about it for months.  In addition, Ruth accomplished much by keeping
her issues before the courts, often representing herself and always being
extremely resourceful in getting help from legal professionals.

I am sure she will appreciate your prayers, but she also deserves our
sincere respect.

Amy Smoucha