[Vision2020] It happened in Rockford, Illinois

Edward Sebesta newtknight@mindspring.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:15:45 -0600

In Rockford, Illinois, there is the Rockford Institute which in the
mid-80s was taken over by Thomas Fleming, who was a founding director of
the League of the South, and a founding editor of the "Southern
Partisan." The Rockford Institute publishes "Chronicles" magazine. It is
a publication in which Douglas Wilson is a contributor. At one time the
magazine advertised that all its editors were members of the League of
the South.

Thomas Fleming got very involved in a Federal Civil Rights school
desegregation court case there and managed to inflame it quite a lot.

The magazine is online at <http://www.chroncilesmagazine.org>.

The history of what happened is online at
<http://www.templeofdemocracy.com/Rockford.htm>

They weren't especially prominent in local affairs until the opportunity
arose, and the Rockford Institute seized this opportunity to put their
Neo-Confederate ideology to work and really get people angry. The title
of the headlines for the "Rockford Register Star" was, "New Confederates
Spark Outrage."

Incidentally, "Temple of Democracy" is a 19th century metaphor for the
American Republic, and a word play on the Neo-Classical style of many of
our prominent and historical public buildings.

Ed Sebesta

P.S. You will have to excuse the indexes, they are my notes for each
issue of their magazine, which I put online for the use of others. They
are not professionally done.