[Vision2020] Fw: Town Sermon: What to expect?

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:47:18 -0800

Visionaries,

The agenda of the meeting tonight will be determined by those who attend
and ask the questions. The questions will be asked aloud, not written, and
the people who ask the questions will have reasonable opportunity for
follow-up. The jury on whether this has happened or not will be those who
attend, and not those who have no need to attend because of their
telepathic gifts.

At the same time, we intend to give the floor to a wide range of
questioners, and this means that we will regularly move from one questioner
to another. Again, the judge of whether we are doing this fairly and
honestly will be the people in attendance. We want to give priority to
those who are not in our church, and we want to prioritize how we address
the questions as well. This means that we will want to sort questions and
answers as they have related to the controversy. "What is our actual
position on slavery? Is this consistent with the booklet? Why did the
Christ Church elders respond with the display ads in the newspaper the way
they did?" When those are covered, we can move on to other questions if we
have time.

We are trying to answer the questions that the community has. This is not
the same thing as answering the questions that could be asked by a hostile
few, those who have gotten a strange mix of bitterness, slanders,
hostility, and lies wound tight around their axle. I do not believe that
such people will be satisfied (if they come), but I do believe that the
average, interested resident of Moscow who comes will be able to hear what
we have been saying. Many will leave differing with us, but what they
differ with will be an honest representation of our views.

I know that Wayne Fox will take my reference above to "telepathic gifts"
and "wound tight around their axle" as acts of rudeness, unbecoming to a
Christian minister. But the apostle Peter tells us not to return evil for
evil, and I have diligently sought to avoid every form of railing or
invective in my responses during this controversy. That is not the same as
avoiding a (biblical) approach to polemics and humor, which I have tried
hard to practice. I do employ such expressions as those above, because I
want to avoid the besetting sin of cultural conservatives in public debate,
which is the sin of being Shrill. I have been on the receiving end of a
torrent of abuse from Wayne Fox for a goodish bit of time now, and do not
ever want to be guilty of the kind of irrational crudeness which he
routinely displays. That is my goal, and I have good friends who would take
me aside to talk about it if I wavered from it.

That said, men like Wayne Fox and Nick Gier need to understand that we are
not taking their questions seriously precisely because we take the
questions of the responsible community of Moscow seriously. There are many
in Moscow who are not associated with us in any way, who have honest
questions about us, and who are ill-served by those questions are the
Platonic form of Shrill. "Doug Wilson, have you closed down your child
abuse factory and the meth lab behind it? Yes or no?"

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson