[Vision2020] Climate

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:22:05 -0800

Visionaries,

I am grateful to Melynda, Joan, and Amy for condemning acts of public
malice. I really do appreciate it, and accept Melynda's sincere regret at
face value. But Wayne is in a different category -- he is against all that
stuff too, especially since we probably did it to ourselves.

At the same time, please take note. Rod had a cogent point on the issue of
climate. When the Wrong Group becomes the Evil Group, when the
Presbyterians become a cult, when the conservatives become the Nazis, why
are we surprised when some of the less stable on "one side" carry the
implications of the rhetoric against the "other side?" When Raul published
the overheated rhetoric of Quinlan and Ramsey on his (university-owned)
website (e.g. Grant is an "unabashed racist ideologue,"), the unstable on
your side know how racist ideologues and their fellow travelers are to be
treated. The problem is, the charge was false, all the way down to the
ground. Someone needs to take responsibility for the climate.

Melynda was sympathetic with our situation in this because of the form she
is more familiar with (e.g. "Fags must die."). But you remember, don't you,
our church's public opposition to the Fred Phelps approach? As some of you
probably know, we are a church that practices church discipline -- not for
people who differ with the pastor, or the needy souls who send Vera our
emails. We practice church discipline for big ticket items like adultery
and auto theft. And if someone in our congregation took the "fags must die"
approach, we would discipline them for it, putting them out of the church
if they did not repent of their malice.

And then all we would have to do is wait for that action to be construed as
a Stalinist tactic.

Cordially,

Douglas