[Vision2020] another angle

Ben Twigg bentwigg@yahoo.com
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:04:39 -0800 (PST)

Visionaries,

I am not a member of Christ Church. I have had little
direct contact with Doug Wilson or his family for the
past eight years. I did, however, attend Logos School
for thirteen years. I believe Mr. Wilson was my Latin
teacher for about half of those years.

I can't say I remember much Latin...a few vocabulary
words, some noun and verb endings, a couple of silly
phrases that we had to memorize for Friday quizzes.

I actually remember a lot more about Mr. Wilson than I
do about Latin. Mr. Wilson was our favorite teacher to
distract...it was easy to do, got us out of some work,
and usually resulted in a story that included formerly
classified information about nuclear submarines.

I also remember Mr. Wilson's guitar, booming voice,
and never-ending songs. We had our favorites, and he
would play them over and over and over. Sometimes we
tried to outsmart him by requesting a really obscure
(to us) song. But to our surprise, he knew them all,
and usually gave a pretty good rendition too.

I suppose you or I could take this as an opportunity
to criticize Mr. Wilson for not being a better Latin
teacher. I'm not going to do that. I hope you won't.

My purpose is not to defend Mr. Wilson, his writings,
or his beliefs. If I have a point here, it is merely
to provide a little bit of perspective.

I remember Mr. Wilson as a kind, jovial, entertaining,
fun, and easy teacher. Sometimes I wonder how a Latin
teacher becomes so very influential and controversial.
Sometimes I wonder how people can really hate a Latin
teacher. Sometimes I wish Mr. Wilson was still just my
Latin teacher.

Ben Twigg