[Vision2020] Towing the Line????

Tim Hillebrand chief@synergetics.org
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:02:08 -0800

The cliché is "Toe the line," not "Tow the line."

The Oxford Dictionary of Word Histories (Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 2002;
ed. by Glynnis Chantrell) says, "The idiom toe the line from an athletics
analogy originated in the early 19th century" (514).

The specific sport referred to is foot-racing, where the competitors must
keep their feet behind a "line" or on a "mark" at the start of the race--as
in "On your mark, get set, go!"

So one who "toes the line" is one who does not allow his foot to stray over
the line. In other words, one who does not stray beyond a rigidly defined
boundary.

I think I'll toe the line during the "Town Meeting" and organize my sock
drawer so as not to focus any more undue attention on the local cult.
Whoops, I hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth.

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com] On
Behalf Of Andreas Schou
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 9:58 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Towing the Line

> I find it most interesting that the people screaming the loudest
> on this site regarding the "issues" being brought forth regarding
> Pastor Wilson are the very same who refuse to show up to the
> townhall meeting.

As much as I appreciate Doug's capacity for keeping the issue open and on
everyone's mind, an explanation of the issues from panel consisting entirely
of representatives from one side is not a "townhall meeting", it is a
"sermon". If I wanted to attend one of Doug's sermons, well, my Sundays are
much less busy than my Wednesdays.

-- ACS

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com