[Vision2020] Stop . . . in the name of megalomania

John Carnahan jcarnahan@turbonet.com
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:27:56 -0800

Let's see if a chronology of events will help us understand the complaint
that all Wilson wants is attention from the Moscow/Pullman community:

1. Seven  years ago, Wilson co-authors two booklets, one a historical
perspective on the War Between the States and slavery, and the other a
theological position paper on the outrage of racism.

2. During this seven year period (and before), Christ Church annually hosts
a history conference (bringing thousands of dollars to community businesses
and many folks to visit the beautiful Palouse), never once on
the theme of slavery. Topics unrelated to the conference theme (including
slavery) are sometimes discussed during comparatively brief Q&A sessions.
Slavery is derided as an institution which needed to be ended in a biblical
fashion, and that every form of racism is evil.

3. Several weeks ago, someone (who remains anonymous) delivers a pamphlet to
the Daily News erroneously inferring that the conference is tied to slavery
(and ignoring the anti-racism booklet).

4. The Daily News picks this up as a news item, offering several articles on
the subject. In the beginning they infer that the conference is on slavery.
They defend their decision not to run an official correction to their
erroneous inference,
using the "Well, we didn't actually *say*..." defense.

5. Wilson gives "the rest of the story" to visionaries and in the Daily
News. In this spirit, the board at Christ Church offers a Q&A session to the
community for those who want to hear the full story directly from the
source, and then make their own determinations.

6.  After many attacks in which she draws attention to Wilson, Joan says,
"Rather than indulge Doug in yet another round of free publicity, I suggest
that the good citizens of Moscow skip this "town" meeting...  If we want a
new center of attention, then we should turn our attention elsewhere."

Attack, then attempt to discourage clarifying discussion for those who may
want it.  Is this the way of open dialogue and tolerance?

John Carnahan