[Vision2020] Was that the flier?

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:34:26 -0800

<P>On November 19, Bill London attached a flyer to his post.&nbsp; Can anyone verify if that was indeed the flyer&nbsp; that led to the original article in the Daily News?&nbsp; If it was, what were the inaccuracies it allegedly contained?</P>
<P>Sunil<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Rob Keenan <BENJAMIN_BARKER@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Vision2020] Christ Church ad
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:35:10 -0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Egad. I opened up today's copy of The Daily Evergreen and found this ad
<DIV></DIV>&gt;placed by Christ Church titled "It's Not About Slavery. It's About Silencing
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dissent."
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Pardon me while I slip into my galoshes so I can wade through this [term
<DIV></DIV>&gt;censored]. Among other things, in a section entitled "The Charade of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Diversity," Christ Church claims "the real issues" are these:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- why secularism can only fake tolerance, diversity, and inclusion,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- why secularism undermines rationality and knowledge,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- why secularism guts beauty, play, the arts, and laughter,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- why secularism inherently encourages racism and violence,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;- why secularism has to hate the ancient Christian message.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So Christianity has a long, unbroken string of practicing tolerance,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;diversity, and inclusion, eh? Tolerance like the Salem witch trials of 1692?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Or like the Crusades? Or the Inquisition? Or the Holocaust? Or "Christian
<DIV></DIV>&gt;identity" groups? Or *gasp* enslaving African blacks in the ante-bellum
<DIV></DIV>&gt;South?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;And rationality and knowledge -- wow. It's certainly rational to accept two
<DIV></DIV>&gt;contradictory creation stories as absolute fact rather than a moral allegory
<DIV></DIV>&gt;about a good and benevolent creator figure. And contradicting scientific
<DIV></DIV>&gt;evidence while clinging to words written some 4,000 years ago really speaks
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to the practice of gaining new knowledge.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Yeah, the Church has a clear market on beauty, play, the arts and laughter,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;too. Why, the whole ceremony of the Mass and the foundation of modern
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Christian worship services is pretty theatrical -- never mind that the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ceremonies were culled from ancient pagan rites, cannibalism and all. And
<DIV></DIV>&gt;laughter? Well, I laughed pretty hard when I read this ad. Score one for
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you, Christ Church!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Let's ignore for a moment that the most vile and heinous acts and
<DIV></DIV>&gt;organizations of racial bigotry were founded in Christian dogma (the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Crusades, the Ku Klux Klan, American slavery, the World Church of the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Creator, the Nazi party) and think on the REAL message: that those of us who
<DIV></DIV>&gt;view racism and violence as a secular problem are obviously suspect. We
<DIV></DIV>&gt;should definitely hearken back to the peaceful, violence-free days depicted
<DIV></DIV>&gt;in the Bible, when adulterers were stoned to death by angry mobs and a young
<DIV></DIV>&gt;man practicing civil disobedience was beaten and put to death in perhaps the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;most brutal and painful way ever known to man. And remember: "Whosoever
<DIV></DIV>&gt;looks at another woman with lust in his heart has already committed
<DIV></DIV>&gt;adultery" -- so we'd better start picking out nice, baseball-sized rocks to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;have at the ready.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;And secular programs simply do not exist that drive home the ancient
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Christian message of loving one's neighbor as oneself or forgiving your
<DIV></DIV>&gt;enemy or feeding the hungry, nursing the sick and clothing the naked. We
<DIV></DIV>&gt;don't have public education, secular homeless shelters, public food banks,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;clothing drives on government property or any of the other things Jesus
<DIV></DIV>&gt;asked us to do.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;True, I have drifted rather heavily into sarcasm here. But I look to the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;closing paragraph of the Christ Church ad: "Always be suspicious of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Darwinists bearing such dogmatic absolutes. It's oxymoronic. It's
<DIV></DIV>&gt;hypocritical." Change "Darwinist" to "fundamentalist Christian" and we are
<DIV></DIV>&gt;in full agreement.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I may just be a poor Catholic boy from the city, but I know how to recognize
<DIV></DIV>&gt;horse manure when I smell it.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ROB
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; List services made available by First Step Internet,
<DIV></DIV>&gt; serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.fsr.net
<DIV></DIV>&gt; mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ