[Vision2020] unequivocal words of God

Doug Jones credenda@moscow.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:53:43 -0700

Robert Dickow wrote:

> At least those who have faith (should I
> capitalize Faith?...I can't remember) can rely on a standard that can not
be
> refuted. We can comfort ourselves that we have a basis for giving up all
of
> our judgement and Will to the absolute authority of a single written
source.
> It really makes things so much easier, doesn't it?

Isn't this, though, just more secular naivete? It assumes the same objection
can't be applied to the author's own standard. But notice if you drop the
references to the Bible, the same objection applies to Reason -- "can not be
refuted," "giving up all of our judgment and Will," "the absolute
authority," and even "single written source" could pick out one's pet logic
text. Why, then, limit the objection to the Bible? Reason faces the same
challenges. And the closing line from Dickow is virtually an Enlightenment
slogan for what they thought Reason would do. So much easier, isn't it?

Doug Jones