[Vision2020] unequivocal words of God

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:03:17 +0000

Visionaries:

Thanks for your post, Sharon.  Of course if all these biblical quotes are
put into the proper context and interpreted correctly, there is no
contradiction or relativistic problem.  And really the bible does not
require interpretation by a human mind, this might imply relativism and the
possibility of human error, so... never mind.

I wonder why so many people find the debates on religion and ethics to be so
tiring and annoying, they are debates that go on "ad nauseum."  Is not
Moscow debating growth, either "smart" growth, or otherwise, on and on?
Taxes, public schools, homosexual rights, and the correct interpretation of
the US Constitution, do not all these issues involve debates that go on and
on here on V2020?  The human race has debated all these issues in one form
or another on and on for centuries, and will for centuries into the future,
if we avoid extinction.

But when we examine the deep structure of the derivation of our ethical
rules, the impassioned biases that underpin the disagreements, the spiritual
or logical or empirical assumptions, suddenly these debates are "ad
nauseum," a waste of time, some imply.

No wonder the world is racing towards a future of uncertain and perilous
ends.  People around the world appear to resist examining the fundamental
questions that if answered even partially might offer the human race a way
to avoid the global environmental and militaristic crises the future may
bring.  Consider the suggestion that major world religions emphasize a
common spiritual ethical thread that could lessen hatred between religions,
rather than adopting a polarized and dogmatic stance.  If a fundamental
issue such as this is a waste of time (yes, with the problems of relativism
vs. God's word), what guidelines does the world follow as we head into a
future of potential biosphere destruction and disastrous solutions to human
conflict based on violence and force?  Religion certainly is a dominant
influence in determining the ethics of most of the people on earth, whether
someone likes it or not.

With human induced biosphere degradation, and powerful militaristic
technology increasingly at the disposal of many nations and extremist
groups, if an ethics is not widely adopted to lessen ideological extremism,
in killing as a solution to human conflict, and increase peaceful
cooperation among the world's peoples and nations, well, you do the math, as
they say.

"Ad nauseum" debates, perhaps not for long, for if they do not lead to some
solution to hatred and war and destruction of the biosphere, they may not
impose ennui much longer.

Ted