[Vision2020] Nate, You Don't Get It!

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:21:51 +0000

John et. al.

However, the absolutists who believe in God as their ultimate source of
ethics also have relativistic difficulties insofar as their are many
competing versions of these "absolute" ethics.  So the true believers in
different versions of Christianity, who read a differing sets of ethical
rules from God's word, are within the theological structure of Christianity,
plagued with relativistic moral quandaries.  Thus we have a Gay Bishop among
the Episcopalians, suggesting a very different interpretation of an
important moral rule than the one that John Harrell appears to follow.

Who is right within the Christian God's community?  Christians then appear
to slump into a "Who says so, that's just your opinion!" sort of approach to
solving a moral rule supposedly incontrovertibly derived from a perfect
un-contradictory source: God.

Again, the imperfections and limitations of human thought unavoidably
ensnare those who seek to claim absolute and perfect ethical rules.  I see
no way around this difficulty, for any ethical belief system.

It is easy to say, "But I have the true and only set of rules derived from
the one and only true God."
However, those with an open and skeptical mind can't help but notice this
approach has been used for thousand of years to "prove" that certain ethical
rules are correct, by numerous competing and contradictory ethical systems.
Who says your ethical rules are the true ones derived from God?  Many
religions claim that God speaks to them directly.  Thus the perfection of
their revelations.  But if these revelations disagree, someone is deceived
or is being a deceiver.

I am afraid NO ethical system is without logical difficulties regarding
relativistic interpretations of significant ethical rules.

Ted