[Vision2020] Hope For Healing Pooh, Winnie The

Peter Willard petew@completebbs.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:53:50 -0700

--=======2770657D=======

At 10:58 PM 8/19/03 -0700, Nate Wilson wrote:
>You want to go with Kant and the old greatest good for the greatest number
>bit? That's the ethics of gang rape, and all the picking on minorities
>that filled our yesteryears.

Kant is now officially confused with Francis Hutcheson ("greatest happiness
for the greatest numbers") who is in turn now confused with perhaps....Sade
(the "ethics [sic] of gang rape")????? Weird, because it's nonsense and
also because y'all have been endlessly rehashing Kant's idea that morality
requires religion to be coherent.

Hutcheson's phrase always winds up being used as a motto for fictional
dystopias, so I suppose it's futile to try to defend him here, only to say
that he clearly and specifically opposed the idea of moral relativism.

---