[Vision2020] Re: Hope for Healing? Well, not exactly.

Troy Merrill troy1@moscow.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:16:41 -0700

Both relativism and absolutism have the potential to lead to failed
societies.  Hitlers Nazi party is perhaps the premier example of an
absolutist philosophy that got out of control, though it does take much to
find strong contenders in the history of all the major religions.
Equivalent examples of relativism run amok do not pop readily into my head
but I am sure they are out there; till someone points them out to me let's
use "Lord of the Flys" as an example unbridled relativism - children
reverting to savagery upon being deprived of their parents directives.  Both
these are extreme examples.  Mostly one see's inflexible ideologues
muttering about the sins of their neighbors or over-extended parents unsure
whether they have the authority to tell their children no.

Given the choices I prefer morals, ethics and laws that negotiated between
members of society, all having different beliefs, aspirations and dreams.
Very seldom will we acheive the 'perfect' solution, seldom will all agree,
there will some who feel their values are being ignored and their children
corrupted.  But over the long run there will be more winners than losers and
most will feel they are part of the society.

Under the absolutist model over the long run there are many losers and few
winners - though the winners have a tendency to win big.  Some will develop
intense loyalty to the 'society' most will live in fear of persecution.

Troy Merrill