[Vision2020] The Teacher Shortage Glut

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:29:35 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C36645.2B3CFE60

The below article goes back to what I have been saying -- when the =
salary of
teachers is above the market rate, there will be a surplus.
=20
There certainly is no shortage of teachers in Moscow -- especially when =
MSD
is hiring teachers and staff  while the student population is =
decreasing.

Best,
Dale
=20
  _____ =20

The Teacher Shortage Glut. The annual survey of the American Association =
for
Employment in Education (AAEE) on the teacher hiring scene, and the
Associated Press story about it (see last week's communiqu=E9), ought to
provoke some self-examination among the nation's newspapers. As the =
papers
ran the AP story, they each provided their own headlines to accompany =
it.
          "Teacher shortage a thing of the past" read the Houston =
Chronicle
headline. "Shortage now a glut: Teachers no longer in demand," read the
Boston Globe. But has the situation really reversed itself so =
drastically,
so quickly? Or did the teacher shortage story require more nuance all =
along?
It's no wonder some people are confused. The same day the Associated =
Press
story was making the rounds, the Arizona Republic was running a story =
about
an Arizona State University recruitment program with the headline "ASU =
set
to battle teacher shortage."
          A Google search of the phrase "teacher shortage" turns up =
46,900
references. There are only 65 references to "teacher glut" - three of =
them
from the EIA Communiqu=E9. The overwhelming disparity is important =
because it
is conceivable that credulous and continuous reporting about a =
nationwide
teacher shortage has created a glut. How many new teachers responded to =
the
flood of shortage stories by entering the profession? And how many of =
them
are now without work after passing through the certification pipeline?
          Hopefully, future stories on the teacher labor market will dig =
little deeper, especially since the current crop of laid off and =
out-of-work
teachers will be added to statistics about those who are "leaving the
profession" in the first five years. (The Education Intelligence Agency
COMMUNIQU=C9 -- August 18, 2003
On the Web at  <http://www.eiaonline.com/> http://www.eiaonline.com
  _____ =20

Shortage now a glut: Teachers no longer in demand
By David B. Caruso, Associated Press, 8/18/2003

PHILADELPHIA - Melissa Mertz figured she was a lock for a teaching job =
when
she started looking for work in the Pittsburgh area. Her resume includes
degrees in English and foreign languages, a master's in education, and =
two
years teaching Spanish.

Five months later, Mertz is working part time at a clothing store.

``I haven't even been on an interview. I did not receive one call of
interest in all of the applications that got sent out,'' said Mertz, 26. =
``I
talk to my friends, other new teachers, and I'm finding the same issue
coming up. People just can't find jobs.''

The nationwide teacher shortage that once had school districts =
scrambling to
find instructors has eased significantly as the economy has cooled,
according to groups that track education employment.

In the 1990s, demand for teachers saw incentive programs enacted across =
the
country. Massachusetts offered signing bonuses of up to $20,000 to =
people
who changed professions midcareer to become teachers.

How times have changed. In California, budget woes have led to more than
3,800 teacher layoffs this summer, according to the California Teachers
Association.

The American Association for Employment in Education said the results of =
its
annual survey of hiring patterns indicate that the demand for teachers =
has
fallen for the second consecutive year and is at its lowest level since
1998.

B. J. Bryant, AAEE's executive director, said the soft economy has meant
that more people willing to work for a teacher's pay, and so there are =
fewer
jobs available. Instructors in a few subjects do remain tough to find, =
most
notably math, bilingual education, and all areas of science and special
education, Bryant said.

``Last year we measured 10 or 12 fields as having a considerable =
shortage,''
Bryant said. ``This year there are three.''
=A9 Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C36645.2B3CFE60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT color=3D#0000ff>The below=20
article&nbsp;goes back to what I have been saying -- when the salary of =
teachers=20
is above the market rate, there will be a surplus.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT color=3D#0000ff>There =
certainly is no=20
shortage of teachers in Moscow -- especially when MSD is hiring teachers =
and=20
staff&nbsp; while the student&nbsp;population=20
is&nbsp;decreasing.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT><BR><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff>Best,<BR>Dale</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>
<HR>
</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>The Teacher Shortage Glut.</STRONG> The annual survey of =
the=20
American Association for Employment in Education (AAEE) on the teacher =
hiring=20
scene, and the Associated Press story about it (see last week's =
communiqu=E9),=20
ought to provoke some self-examination among the nation's newspapers. As =
the=20
papers ran the AP story, they each provided their own headlines to =
accompany=20
it.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Teacher =
shortage=20
a thing of the past" read the<I> Houston Chronicle</I> headline. =
"Shortage now a=20
glut: Teachers no longer in demand," read the<I> Boston Globe</I>. But =
has the=20
situation really reversed itself so drastically, so quickly? Or did the =
teacher=20
shortage story require more nuance all along? It's no wonder some people =
are=20
confused. The same day the Associated Press story was making the rounds, =
the<I>=20
Arizona Republic</I> was running a story about an Arizona State =
University=20
recruitment program with the headline "ASU set to battle teacher=20
shortage."<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A =
Google=20
search of the phrase "teacher shortage" turns up 46,900 references. =
There are=20
only 65 references to "teacher glut" - three of them from the<I> EIA=20
Communiqu=E9</I>. The overwhelming disparity is important because it is=20
conceivable that credulous and continuous reporting about a nationwide =
teacher=20
shortage has<I> created</I> a glut. How many new teachers responded to =
the flood=20
of shortage stories by entering the profession? And how many of them are =
now=20
without work after passing through the certification pipeline?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hopefully, =
future=20
stories on the teacher labor market will dig a little deeper, especially =
since=20
the current crop of laid off and out-of-work teachers will be added to=20
statistics about those who are "leaving the profession" in the first =
five years.=20
(<B>The Education Intelligence Agency</B> COMMUNIQU=C9 -- August 18, =
2003</DIV>
<DIV><I><B>On the Web at</B></I> <A title=3Dhttp://www.eiaonline.com/=20
href=3D"http://www.eiaonline.com/"><FONT =
title=3Dhttp://www.eiaonline.com/><I=20
title=3Dhttp://www.eiaonline.com/><B=20
title=3Dhttp://www.eiaonline.com/>http://www.eiaonline.com</B></I></FONT>=
</A></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D553222318-19082003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>
<HR>
</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D+2><B>Shortage now a =
glut: Teachers no=20
longer in demand</B></FONT><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 =
size=3D-3><BR><B>By=20
David B. Caruso, Associated Press, 8/18/2003</B><BR><BR>PHILADELPHIA - =
Melissa=20
Mertz figured she was a lock for a teaching job when she started looking =
for=20
work in the Pittsburgh area. Her resume includes degrees in English and =
foreign=20
languages, a master's in education, and two years teaching =
Spanish.<BR><BR>Five=20
months later, Mertz is working part time at a clothing store.<BR><BR>``I =
haven't=20
even been on an interview. I did not receive one call of interest in all =
of the=20
applications that got sent out,'' said Mertz, 26. ``I talk to my =
friends, other=20
new teachers, and I'm finding the same issue coming up. People just =
can't find=20
jobs.''</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D-3><BR>The nationwide =
teacher shortage=20
that once had school districts scrambling to find instructors has eased=20
significantly as the economy has cooled, according to groups that track=20
education employment.<BR><BR>In the 1990s, demand for teachers saw =
incentive=20
programs enacted across the country. Massachusetts offered signing =
bonuses of up=20
to $20,000 to people who changed professions midcareer to become=20
teachers.<BR><BR>How times have changed. In California, budget woes have =
led to=20
more than 3,800 teacher layoffs this summer, according to the California =

Teachers Association.<BR><BR>The American Association for Employment in=20
Education said the results of its annual survey of hiring patterns =
indicate that=20
the demand for teachers has fallen for the second consecutive year and =
is at its=20
lowest level since 1998.<BR><BR>B. J. Bryant, AAEE's executive director, =
said=20
the soft economy has meant that more people willing to work for a =
teacher's pay,=20
and so there are fewer jobs available. Instructors in a few subjects do =
remain=20
tough to find, most notably math, bilingual education, and all areas of =
science=20
and special education, Bryant said.<BR><BR>``Last year we measured 10 or =
12=20
fields as having a considerable shortage,'' Bryant said. ``This year =
there are=20
three.''<BR>=A9 Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper =
Company.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007F_01C36645.2B3CFE60--