[Vision2020] Hope for Healing? Well, not exactly

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:40:31 -0700

Visionaries,

Carl writes:
>Hey, I heard that a "group" said that "there are thousand of
>ex-Republicans throughout the country!  They are living proof that
>Republican orientation is not fixed permanently...".  So there's hope for
>a retreat from that unnatural, sinful leaning if only they'll seek it.

Of course Republican orientation is not fixed permanently. Republicans
change into Democrats over a period of fifteen years or so, only to find
that the Democrats have pressed on, ever deeper into the fever swamps of
the Revolution. So they always hurry to catch up, but are unwilling to
change their name. One writer of the 19th century described it well,
pointing to a conservatism that never conserves anything, the shadow that
follows radicalism to perdition.

To change the metaphor, Democrats advocate driving us off the cliff at 80
mph. The Republicans want to go 65.  One of the funniest things in the
world to watch is any debate between people who believe that our current
two-party system is anything but a Mutt and Jeff show.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson