[Vision2020] Afghanistan Bound! Much Appreciation!

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:02:33 -0700

Here's an update for folks who so kindly donated to the recent Afghans for
Afghans drive--and I hope some encouragement for everyone to get involved.
The next shipping date is 25 October, which gives everyone plenty of time to
finish an afghan, hat, sweater, pair of socks, or mittens.

For more information about Afghans for Afghans, visit
http://www.afghansforAfghans.org/blanket.html
or email me--I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Melynda Huskey

>We're making afghans (mittens, hats, socks, sweaters, and vests, too) ...
>for
>Afghans! Join us!
>
>afghans for Afghans is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people
>project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and garments to the
>beleaguered
>people of Afghanistan.
>

>Greetings,
>
>We're happy to report that the truck arrived last week -- our recent
>collection of hand-knit and crocheted gifts are now on their long journey
>Afghanistan. Congratulations to all for a splendid rally in response to a
>special
>request for the most vulnerable children and Afghan families.
>
>Thank you to all -- individuals, guilds, yarns shops, faith-based groups,
>social clubs, classes and youth groups, anarchists and independents,
>virtual and
>real-life friends! -- who generously participated. Thank you for sharing
>your
>time and talent with those who need the warmth and our attention. Please
>partake of the joy in knowing that so many Americans and Canadians (plus a
>few
>folks from much farther away!) still care about the Afghan people and have
>tangibly expressed that with their own hands and hearts.
>
>For our recent campaign due date of August 1, we received more than 6,000
>blankets, hats, mittens, socks, sweaters, and vests for Afghan women, men,
>and
>children. A gorgeous assortment of designs, colors, and sizes. Each unique
>item
>made for a unique recipient on the other side of the world.
>
>Of that 6,000 total, we received about 3,800 wool (or mostly wool) hats,
>mittens, socks, sweaters, and vests for children (1-5 years) living in the
>Shomali
>Valley and Kabul. Thousands of children will now benefit from receiving our
>warm, handmade gifts. Imagine that!
>
>This delivery (62 cartons!) is scheduled to arrive by October so that the
>items can be distributed in time for winter.
>
>And, much appreciation and high-fives to the San Francisco Bay Area
>volunteers who sorted and packed for several days at the American Friends
>Service
>Committee office. We could not have asked for a more conscientious and
>spirited
>group. We hope to add a few sweaty, behind-the-scenes, action photos to our
>site
>for your viewing pleasure.
>
>Our beloved sorting and packing volunteers on this round were --
>Stan Stansbury, Betty Levitin, Lisa Gallagher, Kamilla Bren Hurley, Candace
>Key, Martha, Michele Alaniz, Gail Garrison, Judith Mencher, Sarah Peterson,
>Irina Dolinov, Jessica Konrad, Shiobhan Elliott, Erin, Trudy from the
>Peninsula,
> [...]

Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.
Burnt Norton, T.S. Eliot