[Vision2020] Gay Marriage, Heaven and Body Count

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:05:33 +0000

All:

Douglas wants us to consider whether or not people who do not believe in
"heaven" have killed and molested more than those who do.  How does this
exactly relate to gay marriage rights?  Oh, of course, if you do not believe
in a religious view that includes "heaven," there is no foundation for human
rights:  we are all adrift in a world of malicious chaotic moral relativism.

Apparently the belief that God could be a source of absolute moral codes,
and construct the universe accordingly, without "heaven" involved in the
equation, is an impossibility?

No proof exists that this is impossible, just like no proof exists that some
human religions' are not the result of a vast sociology experiment conducted
by unimaginably advanced intelligent beings from some other part of the
galaxy, who occasionally have visited to blow earthlings minds' with
"miracles."

Douglas lists various atrocities committed by those who imagine there is no
"heaven," making a mockery of a pop song by John Lennon.

I won't argue the factual seriousness of what Douglas asserts, though
Germany was predominately Christian at the time of the Holocaust.  People of
many different ideologies and religions have committed atrocities.

But given that absolutist extremist religions exploiting belief in "heaven"
have often in history provided ideological cover and psychological solace to
facilitate atrocities, Douglas does his worldview a disservice when inviting
a "body count" argument.

Moral codes throughout the world from many different religions declare
murder morally wrong.
The implication that we must believe in one religion only, or we are lost to
moral chaos and anarchy, does not fit the facts of human conduct.

What great harm will result from allowing gay marriage?  Will this lead to
the slaughter of millions in ruthless bloodletting with all moral standards
voided?  Is this what Douglas is implying?  It would seem so.

Ted