[Vision2020] gay marriage and bananas

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 08:20:45 -0700

Visionaries,

Joan says:
>Can’t we simply continue to recognize marriage as contractual monogamy,
>expanding it only with regard to the sex of the spouses?  Just as I can
>light a cigarette without starting a forest fire, I should also be able to
>marry my same-sex partner without exposing myself to the unwanted
>attentions of King Fahd.

This is only the case when the logic you use to justify the same/sex
marriage does not apply equally well to other alternative unions, and can
be used as readily by them. If Wilson does not get to impose his morality
on homosexuals, then why do the homosexuals want him to be able to impose
it on polygamists? Some citizens don't want marriage restricted to heteros.
Other citizens don't want it restricted to couples. By what standard do we
make decisions about marriage law? Is it religious? Secular? Pragmatic?
What standard do you want imposed, and why? All law is imposed morality.
What morality do you want to impose -- and why are you so sure you are right?

Scott says that equality is his standard and is backed by the United States
Constitution. Which in its turn is suspended in midair on a great
epistemological sky hook. What was your standard, Scott, when the
Constitution supported slavery?

Donovan says that the whole issue revolves around consent. So tell us -- at
what age does sexual consent become possible? Should teenagers be legally
permitted to experiment with their sexuality? Are you guys abstinence
crusaders now?

And I would appreciate it if anyone could give me the name of any gay pride
parade that has banned the participation of NAMBLA.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson