[Vision2020] Gay marriage: could we stop shouting and listen?

Jacob Spencer spencerjt@wlu.edu
Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:53:21 -0400

Visionaries,

I will allow John and Donovan to continue sticking their tongues out at
each other in the corner.  For the rest of the presumably sane people on
the list, I will attempt to translate previous discussion.  Doug Wilson
asks "By what standard does a state regulate marriage?  Pragmatics,
ethics, dice rolling, tradition, etc.?"  Ralph Nielson answers, "you're
illogical, how can you ask a question of me, Moscow's leading atheist
and tolerant Christian-hater? How illogical."  Melynda Huskey answers
"I'm gay."  Doug Wilson replies, "what is your standard?" Ms. Huskey
replies, "I'm gay."

So here is the question, by what standard do you include gay marriage
and leave out polygamy, bestiality, NAMBLA, etc?  Most say pragmatics,
well problems can be worked around.  Some say ethics, well, whose?  Some
say "Because I am Ralph Nielson and I have read the Bible" well, hmm.
So, what's your standard?  Shouting may now resume.

Regards,
Jacob Spencer