[Vision2020] Who Killed California?

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 00:02:26 -0700 (PDT)

Visionaries,
Even if he's not your cup of tea politically, you
gotta admit that Pat tells it like it is about "Free"
trade and Immigration.
    TL

Who Killed California?

> By Patrick J. Buchanan
>
> With Gov. Gray Davis facing recall, a budget $38
> billion in deficit, and a bond rating dropped three
notches by Standard & Poor's to near junk-bond
> status, the lowest of all 50 states, the Golden
> State is no more.
>
> Who killed the goose that laid the golden eggs?
>
> Certainly, Davis, who misled voters about the
> gravity of his budget crisis in 2002, and won
re-election by demonizing his GOP rivals, deserves his
20
> percent approval rating. But Gray Davis did not kill
> California.
>
> The United States government did. For what killed
> California as the golden land was massive and
unrestricted immigration from the Third World, an
> unrepelled invasion from Mexico, and a failure to
> protect the U.S. manufacturing base and the wages of
America's workers.

> During and after World War II, California became a
> bastion of our defense, aerospace, auto and TV
industries. Hundreds of thousands were hired to become
> the highest-paid manufacturing workers on earth,
> giving California the world's highest standard of
living. The average California wage once stood at 130
> percent of the average U.S. wage.
>
> In the 1970s and 1980s, however, Japan, a free rider
> on America's defense, began to engage in predatory
trade, attacking and killing, one by one, U.S.
industries and capturing U.S. markets with subsidized
exports.

> California suffered first. Our TV industry was wiped
> out. Our auto industry was reeling when Ronald
Reagan stepped in to impose quotas on Japanese cars.
> Reagan also intervened to save the semiconductor
> industry, Big Steel and Harley-Davidson. Unlike
today's free-trade fanatics, Ronald Reagan put America
> first.
>
> But it was under Bush-Clinton-Bush that California
> was irrevocably sacrificed to the gods of the Global
Economy.

> During Bush I's term, millions of Mexicans began to
> flee north to seek jobs and take advantage of the
health care, welfare and free education American
> citizens provided for their people. For one-third of
> the illegals, California became the destination of
choice.

> What the U.S. government should have done was
> obvious, and was demanded by Americans: Enforce our
immigration laws, halt the invasion, restrict
> immigration from the Third World. But America's
> politicians - out of fear of being brande xenophobic
and to curry favor with Big Business, which
> benefits from an endless supply of low-wage labor -
did almost nothing to protect America.

> Californians tried to defend their state. As
> illegals poured in by the hundreds of thousands
yearly, they passed Proposition 187, denying social
> welfare benefits to illegal aliens who had broken
> the law and broken into the United States.
>
> The open-borders coalition, repudiated and routed,
> ran to a federal judge, who annulled the voters'
victory. Davis then refused to appeal the overturning
> of 187 to the Supreme Court. Hispanic voters
> rewarded him in 2002, and California state and local
budgets continued to hemorrhage.

> By the 1990s, an exodus of taxpayers had begun. Fed
> up with being fleeced to subsidize illegal aliens,
Californians began leaving for Nevada, Idaho,
> Arizona and Colorado. Two million native-born
> Californians left the state in
> the 1990s, as immigrants, legal and illegal, sent
> poverty rates soaring in Los Angeles, Riverside, San
Bernardino and Orange counties.

> This, then, is what killed California:
>
> First, open borders. By failing to enforce our
> immigration laws, America now hosts 31 million legal
immigrants and their children and 10 million
> illegals, most of them net tax consumers. California
> got the lion's share.
>
> Second, global free trade and the trade deficits it
> produced, now running at an annual rate of $562
billion in May. This has killed millions of
> manufacturing jobs, as thousands of companies closed
> factories here and shifted plants to Mexico, Asia
and China.

> The Third Worldization of California is now far
> advanced. Yet those responsible, Bush Republicans as
well as Clinton Democrats, still cannot
> see what they have done to our country.
>
> But what is happening in California is not confined
> to California. It is happening across America.
Unless we elect a president who will enforce our
> immigration laws and defend our borders, unless we
> find a Congress that will jettison the free-trade
madness that is denuding America of her manufacturing,