[Vision2020] Re: Second coming of Jesus

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:14:41 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C35943.78759AC0

Nielsen, you still have a lot more homework to do.=20

First, your "late date" of 100 AD is held by "some" contemporary =
researchers. However, the vast majority of scholars thru history have =
disagreed with you and your 100 AD date. In fact, the vast majority have =
dated Revelation before 70 AD. If you would like, I can provide you =
(off-list) with a 15-page bibliography listing scholars who have =
disagreed with you over the past 2,000 years. Bottom line: all the =
internal and external evidence points to an early date (prior to 70 AD). =
The reason for pushing the date to later isn't for scholarly purposes =
but to support a different agenda.

Second, you need to study up more on Hebrew apocalyptic literature and =
see what it means to come in the clouds. Understanding apocalyptic genre =
is not like reading a Harry Potter book.

Third, there is a significant difference between a coming in judgment =
and a physical coming. That distinction shouldn't be lost on you. Again, =
I refer you to the apocalyptic writings of the Hebrew Prophets where =
they speak of judgment comings.=20

Finally, if you are *really* interested in knowing, contact me off-list =
-- vision2020 is not a forum for theological debates. Since you haven't =
done so, I'm assuming that you don't *really* care to know, and that =
your agenda lies elsewhere.

Best,
Dale

>The question of the Second Coming of Jesus becomes a "doctrinal" issue =
only
>to those who refuse to face the fact that both Paul, the earliest =
writer in
>the New Testament, and most of the others as well, looked for an =
imminent
>return of Jesus out of the clouds while nearly all of them were still =
alive.
>Dale's claim that the Parousia was in two parts, with a judgment in the =
year
>70, simply doesn't agree with the book of Revelation, for example, =
where the
>judgment is yet to come. Most scholars agree that Revelation was =
written
>around the year 100.

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C35943.78759AC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Nielsen, you still have a lot more homework to do. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>First, your "late date" of 100 AD is held by "some" contemporary=20
researchers. However, the vast majority of scholars thru history have =
disagreed=20
with you and your 100 AD date. In fact, the vast majority have dated =
Revelation=20
before 70 AD. If you would like, I can provide you (off-list) with a =
15-page=20
bibliography listing scholars who have disagreed with you over the past =
2,000=20
years. Bottom line: all the internal and external evidence points to an =
early=20
date (prior to 70 AD). The reason for pushing the date to later isn't =
for=20
scholarly purposes but to support a different agenda.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Second, you need to study up more on Hebrew apocalyptic literature =
and see=20
what it means to come in the clouds. Understanding apocalyptic genre is =
not like=20
reading a Harry Potter book.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Third, there is a significant difference between a coming in =
judgment and a=20
physical coming. That distinction shouldn't be lost on you. Again, I =
refer you=20
to the apocalyptic writings of the Hebrew Prophets where they speak of =
judgment=20
comings. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Finally, if you are *really* interested in knowing, contact me =
off-list --=20
vision2020 is not a forum for theological debates. Since you haven't =
done so,=20
I'm assuming that you don't *really*&nbsp;care to know, and that your =
agenda=20
lies elsewhere.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Best,<BR>Dale</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;The question of the Second Coming of Jesus becomes a =
"doctrinal" issue=20
only<BR>&gt;to those who refuse to face the fact that both Paul, the =
earliest=20
writer in<BR>&gt;the New Testament, and most of the others as well, =
looked for=20
an imminent<BR>&gt;return of Jesus out of the clouds while nearly all of =
them=20
were still alive.<BR>&gt;Dale's claim that the Parousia was in two =
parts, with a=20
judgment in the year<BR>&gt;70, simply doesn't agree with the book of=20
Revelation, for example, where the<BR>&gt;judgment is yet to come. Most =
scholars=20
agree that Revelation was written<BR>&gt;around the year=20
100.<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C35943.78759AC0--