[Vision2020] Harvey Milk High School

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:45:04 -0700

I'm having trouble understanding all the fuss about Harvey Milk High School.
  There are about 1200 public schools in New York City.  There are
performing arts public schools, science and math public schools, single-sex
public schools, experimental public schools, magnet schools, small cluster
schools within large schools, gifted and talented schools, law and public
service schools, Montessori and Waldorf and Classical schools, Hirschean
cultural literacy schools . . .

and one school with one hundred students who are either glbt, or who want to
go to high school in a climate that is safe and supportive of glbt students.

NYC has the most extensive system of school choice that I know of
nationally.  The kids who end up at Harvey Milk are chosing to be there
because they can find something there that they couldn't find elsewhere,
just like the kids choosing the Fordham Leadership Academy for Business and
Technology.

And I can promise you that there are more than 100 gay kids in NYC.  The
majority of them will choose schools for some other reason.  There will
still be plenty of gay kids to go around; no school will be forced to make
due with less than its fair share.

Back when HMHS was still the Hetrick-Martin Institute, it was primarily a
school of last resort for kids who had experienced overwhelming
challenges--the kids who had been injured or emotionally harmed by
homophobic students or teachers, who had become homeless after parents threw
them out for being gay, who had been expelled for fighting back or talking
back.  I imagine that HMHS will serve that same population, at least for a
while.

I'd find Sen. Diaz's concern for the segregation of gay kids a little more
compelling if he'd ever done anything to support the civil rights of gay and
lesbian people in any context whatsoever.   As it is, it looks pretty
disingenuous.

Melynda Huskey

Go, said the bird, for the leaves were full of children,
Hidden excitedly, containing laughter.
Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
Cannot bear very much reality.
Burnt Norton, T.S. Eliot