[Vision2020] an issue worthy of discussion?

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:31:24 -0700

I have read pretty carefully the statements on this list
regarding teacher compensation and have a passing
knowledge of the local school district.  It seems to me that
lost in the rhetoric at times are real kernel of potential
enlightened discussion.  Sometimes it seems we are so
busy arguing our "side" that no concession can be made to
a rational point made by the "others."

I don't happen to agree that teachers are overpaid or
underworked.  I don't agree that "annualizing" their
salaries makes for a rational discussion (although I
acknowledge that there are other ways to account for non-
work days).

What I do think is worthy of discussion is the method by
which teachers are compensated--and in the "sided"
discussion there has actually been a bit of
acknowledgment that there is room for consideration of
other methods.  Dr. Wenders, Dale Courtney, et. al. are
correct that the basic salary structure of the district (and
most others in Idaho BTW) is a "grid."  Pay increases are
based solely on two factors--years on the job and credits
earned after a BA.  Every teacher who starts at the
"bottom" of the pay scale will get an automatic salary
increase each of the first seven years on the job, and
additional increase after 10, 20, and 30 hours of credit post
BA, an increase after an MA is received, and an increase
for 10, 20, and 30 hours post MA.  At the BA + 30 hr level
there are actually 10 annual "steps" of automatic increase,
not just seven.  [Note, these increases are SEPARATE from
the overall increase granted yearly by the school board--
when a 2% pay increase is announced, it applies to the
whole grid)

Dr. Wenders makes two points that are worthy of
consideration for their factual accuracy:  (a) experience
beyond a 4 or 5 year period is not necessarily an indicator
of increased teaching "value" or ability; and (b) post-
graduate degrees do not correlate to better teaching.  He
has some data to back up those assertions, and although I
expect one can argue certain points regarding the data, I
also suspect that the data is essentially correct.  We
cannot predict to a statistically significant probability that
K-12 teachers with an MA +20 hrs. credit and 12 years' of
teaching experience provide a better educational product
(i.e., are better teachers than) K-12 teachers with 5 years'
experience and a BA + 10 hrs credit.  BUT, one can also
certainly argue that THOSE are not the reasons that the
salary grid exists in its present form anyway.

The primary alternative to the double
(experience/education) step-grid pay structure is some
form of "merit" increases.  That would mean some form
of evaluation and measurement that Teacher A did better
than Teacher B and should, therefore, be more highly
compensated the following year.  Additionally, account
would have to be taken of the differences in
measurement of success teaching English, Wood Shop
(now called something different), and Drama.  For that
matter some (Dr. Wenders included if I remember
correctly) would argue that some positions should be paid
more than others--perhaps Advanced Placement
Chemistry teaching gets a higher base pay than, for
example, teaching a class in Keyboarding.

And there is the conundrum.  Who assesses and How.
The City of Moscow recently did away with its grid system
for salaries.  Aside from the argument of whether salaries
in Moscow should have been compared with those in
Nampa, the issue of merit v. time-in-grade raises was
resolved by the Council in favor of merit increases even
though it was recognized that the evaluation process was
likely to be less than perfect and might lead to some
employee unhappiness.  If you are adamantly opposed to
merit pay in any form, then Dr. Wenders' statistics mean
nothing to you.  But if you can admit that there are some
situations in which it is appropriate, then it is worthy of
discussion regarding teachers before dismissing the idea
out of hand.  And that discussion in no way assumes that
teachers are overpaid or underworked.  The system of
pay and the amount of pay are two different things.

There are obvious advantages to merit pay increases.
There are some obvious drawbacks.  Are the drawbacks
insurmountable?  I guess we won't know if we don't talk
about them.  Are the drawbacks of the best merit system
we could fashion worse than the drawbacks of the current
system?  Again, hard to tell if we don't at least talk about it.

Just for the record, while the formal "tenure" period may
be three years at MSD, the realistic period is one year.
And since administrators have to expect that a first-year
teacher will improve, they are (appropriately) loathe to
recommend not renewing the contract of ANY about-to-
be-second-year teacher.    The reality is that anyone hired
by MSD stays at MSD unless there is a reduction in force.

However much one wants to argue about public schools
and the inability to fire underperforming teachers, it is
unrealistic to blame the local district or expect them to do
much about it.  Idaho Code and the cases that have been
determined in the courts make it very difficult to fire a
teacher--and the local union (doing the job it's supposed to
do) challenges every dismissal/firing by filing a lawsuit on
behalf of the aggrieved employee.

 Note that a merit pay system would not necessarily mean
underperformers would be "fired."  They simply wouldn't
make as much as they otherwise might.  And further note
that a teacher's pay cannot go down--by Idaho state law.
So, if I get to a level that sustains my lifestyle and I don't
get any pay raises, maybe I still choose to "skate" until
retirement if that would be my MO under the current
system.

Food for thought--merit pay v. salary grid?

What if teachers (the union) were allowed to figure out
the evaluation system for merit increases?  What if
teachers had a voice in the administration of the system?

Mike Curley