[Vision2020] University dollars

Bill Strand strand@pacsim.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:10:55 -0700

Tom,

You wrote:

"Another simple question:  How many local residents would suddenly find
themselves unemployed if the University of Idaho closed down?"

I'm not certain why we seem to get in this "either/or" type of
discussion. The local business community acknowledges their dependency
on the universities but this does not mean that the universities always
act in the best interest of the community. When U of I takes business
outside the community and outside the state, it hurts us as a community.
Those are our tax dollars rushing out of the state.

I am in no way anti-university. As I wrote earlier, I am a graduate of
both universities, serve on advisory boards in both engineering colleges
and am affiliate faculty at U of I. But I also support our local
businesses (including the pharmacies). My dollars are spent locally -
Sprenger Construction does all my building work and most of the cars I
have owned were bought at local dealerships.

So why are we sending our tax dollars to Beaverton Oregon? I want both
my salary and tax dollars spent here in Moscow where it supports our
schools and businesses.

Bill Strand