[Vision2020] Annualizing salaries

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:40:57 -0700

> Let's annualize the salaries of fire fighters (this would
> work better in Pullman than in Moscow, where almost all are
> volunteers). They're hired to fight fires, so the only time
> they're working is when they're -- you guessed it -- fighting
> fires. With this approach, I'll bet some firefighters have
> annualized salaries of a lot more than $1 million. Even if we
> count in the hours they spend on training.

Don,

This isn't a good analogy. Firefighters are paid to be "on standby". Even
when they are not fighting a fire, they are on call and must respond -- so
they cannot be employed elsewhere at that time.

Perhaps a better example would be tax consultant who chooses to work 9
months per year; and doesn't do taxes during non-tax season. She would have
the opportunity to brush up on tax law, take classes, get another job, go on
vacation, or even take on some tax work during those three months. But we
*wouldn't* say that she's working when she's not.

> And people who post to Vision2020 while at work obviously are
> being more amply rewarded than you'd think if you looked at
> their pay checks. Because they aren't actually working all
> the time they're "on the job," and thus could have their
> salaries "annualized."

Well, there are "appropriate use policies" that institutions have.

I'm not sure what the UI's policy is for their staff and support people
spending time all day online answering personal (vision2020) email. You'd
have to ask one of our UI staff members.

> This seems an appropriate point to make it clear that I
> admire and highly value both teachers and firefighters. And
> many of the people who post to Vision2020.

Please note: just because I'm *critical* of certain things doesn't mean that
they are not valued. There's a *major* difference.

I *highly* value an excellent education for my family, friends, and the
community. *That* is why I am critical of the current status quo.

> (That includes
> Dale, who has treated us to some good graphs.)

ROTFL!  Thanks. Well, there's not too many things I can do well, but making
pretty graphs *is* one of them  :)

Best,
Dale