[Vision2020] Annualizing salaries - more problems caused by D. Courtney

Douglas Stambler ccm_moscow@yahoo.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

--0-692413948-1059765977=:65015

WHY NOT HAVE THE TEACHERS FIGHT FIRES DURING THE SUMMER...MAYBE DALE COURTNEY CAN GET OUT THERE WITH 'EM AND CRACK THE WHIP ON THOSE LOAFING, SEMI-PROFESSIONAL EDUCATORS...

Mushroom <mushroom@moscow.com> wrote:
Dale Courtney is keen on "annualizing" the salary of public
school teachers, to make it seem they are more amply
rewarded than first seems to be the case.

How 'bout this:

Let's annualize the salaries of fire fighters (this would
work better in Pullman than in Moscow, where almost all are
volunteers). They're hired to fight fires, so the only time
they're working is when they're -- you guessed it --
fighting fires. With this approach, I'll bet some
firefighters have annualized salaries of a lot more than $1
million. Even if we count in the hours they spend on
training.

And people who post to Vision2020 while at work obviously
are being more amply rewarded than you'd think if you looked
at their pay checks. Because they aren't actually working
all the time they're "on the job," and thus could have their
salaries "annualized."

This seems an appropriate point to make it clear that I
admire and highly value both teachers and firefighters. And
many of the people who post to Vision2020. (That includes
Dale, who has treated us to some good graphs.)

Don Coombs