[Vision2020] Wenders' Diatribe

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 01:56:42 +0000

All:

Jack Wenders makes an obvious error that shows a surprising lack of accuracy
when he writes:  "Not bad for a 180 day work year, while those who pay for
it work 240 days."

In fact the number of days in a year worked by people who pay taxes to
support the salaries of public school teachers varies considerably, from the
self sufficient wealthy individual (wealthy by whatever means, inheritance,
success in business etc.) who pays property taxes but works only when they
choose, to the self employed hard working individual who might claim to
really "work" nearly every day of the year, not being tied to an hourly or
salaried pay check.  In fact many public school teachers themselves pay part
of their salary when they pay their property taxes.

Such a glaring misstatement of fact, written as though to imply public
school teachers loaf through an easy work year with lots of days off, while
the harder working pay their salary, weakens the credibility of the rest of
Jack Wenders diatribe.

It has already been established that the length of this so called "work
year," as Dale Courtney and Jack Wenders define it in their obviously biased
attempt to make public school teachers appear to be free-loading off the
taxpayers, is not as padded with vacation time as they claim, with the
demands of course work requiring summer school courses, and other related
academic work teachers need to complete during so called "vacation" periods.

Mr. Courtney and Mr. Wenders case would be much more compelling if they
would state their case more fairly and accurately.  If the facts they
present are so persuasive, they should present the facts considering all
variables.  Slanting facts to fit a bias just weakens the proselytizing
power of their argument.

Again, the salaries of public school teachers are presented with out
comparison to what the best and brightest can earn being a doctor, lawyer,
statistician, computer scientist, engineer or architect, etc. when they
climb the ladder of success in these fields  The potential earnings are so
high in these other professions they compel many of the best and brightest
to not even give a career as a K-12 public school teacher serious
consideration.  As they say, "there's no money in it."  I don't need to
burden this point with listing facts we all know to be true regarding what a
top doctor, lawyer, statistician, computer scientist, architect or engineer
can earn

But then it appears Mr. Courtney and Mr. Wenders think that being a public
school teacher does not require the intelligence or education or dedication
or hard work to render it deserving of a high salary.  Or if they do, they
certainly do not make this clear.

Jack Wenders also states a comparison between MSD and "comparable private
schools" in terms of salary costs, yet does not give one example of a
private school that offers all the programs and services MSD does for grades
K-12, which would render it truly a "comparable private school."  This same
question was posed to Mr. Courtney long ago on V2020 and I do not recall an
answer was ever given.

Well?

Also, Mr. Wenders statement that "No private enterprise has such an
unproductive, bloated, top heavy compensation structure." seems an odd
exaggeration in this age of corporate waste, fraud and corruption.  We have
all heard the stories of 7 figure compensation for the CEOs of some of the
largest US corporations that have recently gone into bankruptcy after
bilking people out of billions of dollars: Enron, Worldcom, Global Crossing,
Adelphia, etc.

What world is Mr. Wenders living in?  A capitalist fantasy world, it
appears, where the noble free enterprise system renders it impossible for a
private enterprise to be "unproductive, bloated or top heavy."  The
fantastic compensation packages for top executive management in some US
corporations compared to what the people at the bottom make defines what the
word "top heavy" means!

Ted