[Vision2020] email from Baseball HOF President Dale Petroskey

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth@hotmail.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:48:35 -0700

I received a reply from Dale Petroskey regarding the cancellation of Bull
Durham.  Read below if interested.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Home?!:("

From :
Baseball Hall of Fame <reply@baseballhalloffame.org>
Subject :
Letter from Hall of Fame president
Date :
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:29:47 -0400

April 24, 2003

Dear Friend:

          We have received thousands of letters, e-mails, and phone calls
about the cancellation of the Bull Durham events scheduled for April 26-27.
Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.

          The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is a very special
place - a national treasure - and my responsibility is to protect it.
Politics has no place in The Hall of Fame.  There was a chance of politics
being injected into The Hall during these sensitive times, and I made a
decision to not take that chance.  But I inadvertently did exactly what I
was trying to avoid.  With the advantage of hindsight, it is clear I should
have handled the matter differently.

          I am sorry I didn't pick up the phone to have a discussion with
Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon rather than sending them a letter.

          We are so lucky to have Baseball - a game that unites us as
Americans.  The events of the past week show us all that The Game burns
brighter than ever and continues to stir passions in many people.

          Our wish is that every American will visit Cooperstown and join us
in celebrating Baseball, our national pastime and the greatest game of all.

My Best Wishes,

Dale Petroskey
President