[Vision2020] Don't Blame Nader! (was Stop corporate tax dodging)

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:41:47 -0700

posts together):

As I said to someone off list, I agree with Ralph Nader's
principles, and particularly the glaring need for election
reform both nationally and by states.  And, I did not say
that he caused Gore to lose the election--but he was a
contributing cause.   Bob, I agree with the logic of your
schoolyard example, but it doesn't apply to the situation I
described.  In law, cause is often determined by a  "but
for" test.  There may be several events or causes that
coincide to create a certain outcome.  Take away any one
 of those causes and the outcome is different.  One of
many "but for's" of the last national election was Ralph
Nader--"but for" his insistence on staying in the race, Gore
would have won.  His insistence that there "is no
difference between Gore and Bush" MAY have been an
additional contributing factor to Gore's loss.  I think the
latter  statement clearly put Nader's desire to run a
campaign  above the truth.  I believe he very clearly knew
there  would be differences between a Bush presidency
and a  Gore presidency--and that a Gore presidency would
more  likely advance the causes and issues that Nader
supported.  So, in that instance I believe he put politics
and  self-aggrandizement above truth and his own
principles.

Further, and more to the point of the actual election
outcome, he knew that he would not win the election, he
knew that his candidacy would be favorable to a Bush
win, he knew a Bush win would be anathema to his
causes, and he was given several opportunities for
positions of power and influence where his causes could
and would be promoted far more significantly than a Bush
 victory would provide--or for that matter, even a Gore
victory where Nader had remained a ballot foe and thus
had jeaopardized that victory.

Yes, Nader stood  "on his principles"--to, in my thinking,
the detriment of those principles and his ability to <underline>actually</=
underline>
make a difference with them, although not necessarily to
any personal detriment.  Thus, I thought he put himself
above the principles he espouses--hence, "Prince Ralph."
The reference to King George, Ted, should be fairly
obvious given his lack of mandate by vote count, his pre-
election protestations of being "moderate," and the post-
election hawkish, anti-environment, corporate pillaging,
and infringement of individual liberties positions he and
his adminstration have advanced.  I thought perhaps the
hyperbole was apparent, Ted, as in a political cartoon--
which is to some degree how I see all three of the
aforementioned characters at this point.

Mike Curley