[Vision2020] Felonies in Florida: Don't Blame Nader!

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:42:14 +0000

Tim and All:

First I would like to answer the often made comment "Get over it" against
anyone still objecting to or discussing the Florida Gore v. Bush 2000
election.  Illegal activities that disenfranchised thousands of voters, and
felonious violations of Florida law by people tampering with the voting
process, were committed.  Maybe this happens all over the USA, but does that
make it right or excusable?  If someone commits a crime, a few years later
do we say "Get over it," if those who committed the crime got off scott
free, while there are victims seeking to have justice?  The entire nation is
the victim when we have a Presidential race influenced by the activities of
law breakers.  In fact such lawbreaking stands as an egregious crime
violating the fundamental principles the USA ostensibly represents.

I watched intently much of the coverage on C-Span of the suit brought, with
Judge Nikki Clark presiding, regarding the tampering with the absentee
ballot process in Florida's Seminole County, committed by Republicans.  It
was admitted this had occurred, yet I know of no charges being brought
against these felons.  I know what they did was a felony according to
Florida law:  I downloaded the actual legal technical descriptions from the
Florida law books where this is clearly outlined.

We are just to forget about this?  What message does this send to people in
elections in the future who may try to break the law to influence an
election?  That they can break the law and influence elections and people
will just "get over it?"

I have researched this subject extensively, so of course my post on
vision2020 was "incomplete."  I'm not going to post 100 megs on vision2020
to try to be "complete."  Against the rules.

Before I go over a few other issues in some detail, I want to clarify that I
do not think there was a coordinated Republican conspiracy in Florida
against the Democrats.  But differing Republican operatives, acting in what
they thought was the best interests of their party, did engage in illegal
and/or unethical behavior that influenced the election.  Do Democrats do the
same?  Yes, but in Florida 2000 the Republicans got the better of the
Democrats, for sure!

Yes, the Palm Beach butterfly ballot, which was not used in Broward county
as far as I am aware of, was designed by a Democrat.  Her name was Theresa
Le Pore.  I have seen her interviewed on this subject.  Ostensibly this
ballot design, violating certain ballot guidelines (the two major candidates
were supposed to be first and second but Gore was placed third on the
ballot, odd conduct for a Democrat!), was to enable the elderly in Palm
Beach County to see the ballot better.  What a joke that was!

Who ever said Democrats are always loyal to their party, or even smart
politicians, if they are loyal?

Who designed the ballot is tangential to the the fact that, according to a
exhaustive professional statistical analysis of the vote in this county,
Gore lost over 6000 votes, according to an article published in the Palm
Beach Post newspaper, due to honest mistakes voters made in marking the
butterfly ballot.  This one error causing fact alone gives Gore Florida,
according to, yes, "the intent of the voters," which is, according to
Florida law, the guideline to be used in recounts.

There are thousands of other "votes" for Gore that were not included in part
because many people in minorities were not allowed to vote in the first
place, even when they tried.  Their voter registrations were illegally
voided by being placed on a voter purge list by the state of Florida that
was full of errors.  It was so well known this list was full of errors, some
Florida counties refused to enact this list, though ordered to by the
Republican Kathern Harris controlled branch of government in charge.  There
were other methods by which minority voters were discouraged from voting.
It's too much to go into everything here.

All these Gore votes from the mistakes in Palm Beach county over the
butterfly ballot, and the disenfranchised minorities from the voter purge
list, were lost forever.  No recount could re-claim them.

A re-vote in Palm Beach County was sought in the courts, but could not be
legally allowed.  Many Jews realized later in horror they had voted in Palm
Beach for Buchanan (placed second on the ballot ahead of Gore!), who many
view as an anti-semite, rather than their real choice, Gore.  Buchanan
himself admitted there was no way the voters gave him that huge a percentage
of the vote in Palm Beach.  Bush was listed as the first candidate on that
ballot, rendering a mistake in voting for him much less likely.

Why do you make no mention of the illegal voter registration purge list
carried out by the Republican dominated Florida government, which illegally
voided the voting rights of thousands of minority voters, or the felonious
tampering with the absentee ballot process in Martin and Seminole Counties,
carried out by Republicans?  You also compare the "mob" that entered the
Miami-Dade facilities to disrupt a court ordered recount that was being
conducted, to other protests the Democrats conducted.  But I do not know of
any protests conducted by the Democrats where they ENTERED THE BUILDING AND
DISRUPTED A RECOUNT UNDER WAY during the 2000 recounts in Florida.  For one
thing, the Democrats wanted the recounts to continue!  The Republicans
sought to block, quite successfully, every recount that was ordered by law
and the courts.  And in fact, as I stated, not one of the recounts was
completed, as ordered by law, not even the first automatically ordered
machine recount.

I am have no illusions about what activities the Democrats may have been
engaged in, but show me any real evidence the Democrats engaged in
activities like the ones discussed in the last paragraph?  Like I said
before, the Republicans out-scammed the Democrats in this election in
Florida.  It was well known from various polling being conducted months in
advance that the Republicans were likely to lose Florida, and the
Republicans knew this.  They implemented various methods of negating just
enough Gore voters to pull it off.  Florida governor Jeb Bush claimed he was
100% neutral about influencing this election!!!!!!!!
Gag!

Of course both parties had observers supervising the recounts, but these
were not loud yelling protests entering the recount facilities pounding on
doors and windows to disrupt and intimidate the recount, like the Republican
mob did in Miami-Dade.  House Republican Tom Delay brought in Republican
staffers from DC, housed and fed them, gave them entertainment (Wayne
Newton): they crossed state lines with the intent of disrupting, I mean
"SHUTTING DOWN," a legal court ordered recount.  This is different than a
legal civil protest on the street!  It's somewhat like the difference in
Moscow between protests outside the Federal building, which are allowed, but
if you enter the Federal building to disrupt government business, this is
illegal.  Somewhere there is a law about crossing state lines to interfere
with an election:  "Just get over it?"

Former President Jimmy Carter, who has helped to supervise elections in
other countries, said he would not have even gone into Florida to try to
help, things were so bad.  Florida was more like an election in a third
world banana republic than in the "world's greatest democracy."

You show a lack of knowledge of the facts regarding the absentee military
ballots in Gore v Bush Florida 2000.  Some Democrats were insisting on
voiding military absentee ballots that had flaws, but when the media and the
Republicans drew blood over this, making the Democrats look unpatriotic,
they backed off. In fact numerous ILLEGAL absentee military ballots ended up
being counted, most likely favoring Bush.  The The New York Times did an
exhaustive investigation of these absentee military ballots and found that
the Republicans made hay on this issue when they painted the Democrats into
a corner by splattering them with charges of being against our military
service people's right to vote.  Absentee military ballots were then counted
when there was no way to verify when the ballot was cast.  Almost certainly
there were absentee military ballots counted that were cast AFTER the
Tuesday deadline!

You also ignore that many of the voting errors were caused by voting
machines in disrepair or ill maintained, not the voters themselves.  It is
well established that the voting machines in Florida in that election in
heavily minority counties in Florida were in more disrepair on average then
the machines in less minority dominated counties.  This very likely
correlated to the differences in the money available for each county to
maintain voting machines.

But who ever said being from a poor county means your vote should not be
counted as reliably as someone from a rich county?   This slanted the votes
counted in favor of Bush, who of course was not very popular among blacks,
the largest minority voting block, that also tended to inhabit poor counties
in Florida with the ill-maintained machines.

This was one of main reasons for a recount: to examine ballots that the
machines had rejected, due to supposed over votes or under votes, to reclaim
valid votes that machine error had caused not to be counted.  It was well
publicized that some punch card voting machines had not been cleaned out for
years!  Of course there were voter errors of various kinds, and some people
did not punch the "chad" all the way through.  If markings are clear enough,
though, these can be reliably determined by examination.

Odd that the same standards for recounting punch card ballots that were on
the books in Texas where Bush was governor were now suddenly viewed as
invalid by Republicans!  There were many experts who agreed that there were
standards to examine punch card ballots that were reliable.

The dispute over the validity of recounting punch card ballots was a ruse by
the Republicans.  In fact they SOUGHT TO STOP ANY AND ALL RECOUNTS after
they had won the first election night count.  Any offer made to agree on a
counting standard and follow through on a full recount was rejected by
Bush's side.  They did not want to take a single chance of losing the
election they had already "won."

Also, your assertion that the voting error in Florida was about what the
national average is, does not make much of an argument against the fact that
Gore won Florida, or against the validity of trying to do a professional and
fair recount.  Assuming what you say to be true, this does not negate the
value of trying to examine what happened in Florida, with its unique set of
circumstances, to determine if there is any way to find out what voters were
disenfranchised, and who they voted for.

Often the error rates in elections are below the threshold to impact the
outcome of an election.  In Florida this was not the case.

Your argument would negate the value of recounts, which are a legally
recognized method of determining an election when the results are in doubt
and a critical examination of ballots can more closely determine the winner.
  Other election recounts have been conducted in the USA in recent years
with both sides agreeing on the outcome and the recount being finished.

If this is possible, why was it not in Florida?  We know why.  The
Republicans refused to cooperate with the democratic process of court
ordered recounts.

One factor often cited as favoring Gore in Florida was the calling of the
election by the media so early (first for Gore than later for Bush) that it
reduced turnout in certain more Republican areas in western Florida.  While
this is possible, there were other races and issues to vote on than just the
Presidential race, so any voter with sincere intent to participate in the
full process would not just turn around and go home before voting, even if
he thought Gore had already won.  But I think that election results should
not be projected till after the polls close to avoid discouraging
participation.

There is no more important act for a citizen of a democracy to participate
in than elections.  And there is no more deserving government function to
fund and encourage than the voting process.  Without fair, efficient and
reliable elections, that are participated in by most of the voting
population, we do not have a healthy democracy.

We do not have a healthy democracy in the USA, it is clear.

Gore won the Presidency according to the intent of the voters.

Suggested reading:

"Divided We Stand: How Al Gore Beat George Bush and Lost the Presidency"
by Roger Simon

"The Accidental President" by David A. Kaplan

"Supreme Injustice" by Alan Dershowitz

I can provide other documentation if you wish.  Just e-mail me off list.

Ted