[Vision2020] President Hoover's Resignation

Brian Jay brian_jay@starmail.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 15:37:49 -0500

I tried to send a response earlier and it appears not to have gone through.
My appologies if you all recieve two messages from me.

Tom-
President Hoover may or may not be a good president, but, your statement
below is incorrect.  The University of Idaho is listed by Yahoo as the most
wired public university in the west largely because of the
Telecommunications Infrastructure Project (TIP).  This project is the
foundation of nearly all things technological on campus.  TIP was started
in (I think) early 1995 and it was completed in 1996 (before President
Hoover arrived). TIP was created under the Zinser and Bell administrations.
If you must find a member of the current administration to credit perhaps
Jerry Wallace should be the one (I believe the UI IT department was under
him at the time of TIP).  I have heard president Hoover use the UI
infrastructure to promote the school, but I don't think I've ever heard
anyone claim that Bob Hoover was a driving force behind the technology at
the UI.

In fact, this administration, in my opinion, has neglected to adequately
support the infrastructure.  Although some one time money has been found to
do some improvements and additions to the infrastructure, the budget for
maintaining the infrastructure has not changed since 1996.  This means that
the IT staff at the UI are maintaing a larger network with less resources.
.
.
--------
As a recent graduate (1996) and current employee, this question is simple.
Although his accomplishments as University President are far to numerous to
list here, I will reflect on one for now.

Do you realize, Ms. Huskey, that during Dr. Hoover's tenure as University
President, the University of Idaho has improved from just another college
in the northwest (thanks to Elizabeth Zinser) to the most wired public
institution west of the MIssissippi River.  Alot of the latest technology
is available to students for free or extremely low-cost.  He has instituted
high technology programs to keep the University of Idaho on the leading
edge of technology as far as colleges are concerned.

If you are interested in more details, contact me privately.  I do not wish
to post extremely lengthy messages publicly.

personality! Over 200 domains!<br><a
href=http://www.myownemail.com>http://www.MyOwnEmail.com</a><br>Looking for
friendships,romance and more?<br><a
href=http://www.myownfriends.com>http://www.MyOwnFriends.com</a>