[Vision2020] Disturbing trends

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:46:38 +0000

Tim, Carl and others:

Tim, your acceptance of "censorship" when it is done by private institutions
or individuals is a bit too oversimplified and casual.  In fact you state:

>    Again, no governmental involvement--no censorship.

Why do you think only the government can engage in censorship?  If all the
private newspapers and televised media outlets in the US block info from
reaching the public, is this not a form of censorship?

Of course we have the legal right to boycott products or institutions or
ignore people we do not like or agree with.  But what the law allows, and
what is truly encouraging and respecting the democratic ideals of political
speech that is open, are two different things.

It may be legal for me to deny to release a movie, if I own a movie studio,
that features a movie star who expresses political views I find abhorrent.
But is this action consistent with the ideals of democracy?  I would say it
is not.  Especially if the movie does not promote the political views I
disagree with.  These types of actions are an attempt to personally damage
someone because you do not like what they believe in a situation where
politics is not involved.  Carl Westberg's baseball controversy is this type
of situation.

This is like firing your janitor if you own a business just because he voted
for George Bush and you happen to be a die-hard Nader fan.  I think most
people would agree there is something unfair and against the principles of
American democracy in this sort of action.

If most people in American start harassing and denying economic
opportunities to people who they happen to disagree with on political
issues, it will have and probably does now have a chilling effect on speech.

There will be examples where these ideals are difficult to live up to, like
the example given on vision2020 of the racist bumper stickers that a store
owner would keep off his shelves.  However, in this case the bumper stickers
and what they say are being targeted, not the person who made the bumper
stickers.  If the person who made the bumper stickers was fired from his
janitor job at the same store just because of his political views, which he
did not express on the job, this would be a different ethical situation than
keeping the racist bumper stickers off the shelves.

No ethical principle is perfect and covers all situations without examples
that present unsolvable contradictions between competing ethical rules.

Ted