[Vision2020] Thanks

Judy B. LaLonde judyb@uidaho.edu
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:45:32 -0700

Carl, et. al.

Thanks for your most recent post about the Baseball Hall of Fame.
I have to say that although I find many of the postings on vision20/20 very
frustrating, they do make me think. So, Tim's response about "Freedom not
being free" has given me pause.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is (at least in my mind)
between the instances Joe wrote:

("Are you saying some
white-supremacist/Klansman/Neo-Nazi who sells bumper stickers that say, "The
only good nigger is a dead nigger" alongside the motor oil and snack food
at his gas station should not have to pay a price (in the form of boycotts)
for his political views?  And if so, how are you going to protect him
against my boycott and my protesting in front of his place of business
without infringing my right of free speech?")

and this Hall of Fame and TV show canceling.  It seems to me that the major
difference is between a single individual doing something that really just
reflects her/his viewpoint and stays on that personal level AND a single
individual doing something that reflects his/her viewpoint but having that
larger impact because the individual REPRESENTS, i.e. the Hall of Fame, a
television network.

If I chose not to attend or support event "x" because it conflicts with my
beliefs, that is much different from event "x" being cancelled by one person
because he/she has the power/position to IMPOSE their beliefs on all those
affected.

Respectfully,
Judy LaLonde
Moscow